Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

To simplify the LS3?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To simplify the LS3?

I am putting an LS3 in an old T-bucket and I was wondering what all I could do as far as the front cover, valley cover, cam sensors, and what not to simplify it run off a 99-02 ecm so I can use a BDC TB. Any and all help is appreciated. I am wondering about using a 3 bolt cam, but what about the sensor?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll need a converter box to run a 58x engine with a 24x PCM. Or a reluctor wheel swap.

As far as the cam, I'm almost positive there's a cam gear made to run the 3 bolt cam with the front pickup sensor.

I'd honestly run a GEN III engine on something like that if you plan on using an 0411 PCM
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

There is a 3 bolt cam gear for that application, its the one out of the LS7.

Other than that, the main difference is in the location of the cam sensor and the knock sensor, which companies make adapter harnesses for. And if you don't want to change the reluctor wheel, Lingenfelter make a conversion box, although it is expensive and doesn't work all that well IMHO.

I agree with the above, it would be easier to run a built Gen III based engine on the older PCM. You can make more than enough power for that little T Bucket with an LS1
Old 12-07-2013, 12:54 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Not much difference between a 6.0 24x LS2/Q4/Q9 with L92 heads and the 6.2 once you get ego out of the way.

peace
Hog
Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really wanted to run that LS3 with a Gen 3 PCM, you need a cam gear from a 2005/2006 GTO or 2005 Corvette (NOT from an LS7, they were ALWAYS 4 pulse cam wheels), basically any E40 V8 car...you'll need to still use the LS3 timing cover, and you'll need to have the crank removed and swap the reluctor wheel on it (or the whole crank) for a 24x wheel setup.

If it's going in a T-Bucket, why not run an E38 or E67 PCM? You'd have to run drive by wire throttle, but that in my opinion makes the engine look simpler/cleaner...especially if you're good at tucking wiring and keeping it all as neat and clean as possible.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 24X crank reluctor has already been discussed. Texas Speed offers conversion package that will include the LS2 timing cover with camshaft position sensor, LS2 valley cover, LS2 lifter trays, LS2-specific 1x timing set, and plug-n-play harness extensions for the camshaft position sensor and knock sensor.

Knock sensors need to be addressed. The best option seem to be using the Gen III knock sensors relocated to the side of the engine which requires drilling and tapping to fit (Use a hand drill and 8.5mm drill bit to open up the blind M8 female threaded bosses on each side of the lower block where the LS3 knock sensors normally mount or use any un-used M10 engine mount bolt holes.).

Cam can be a 3-bolt LS1/LS2 style cam. But, you need to use the appropriate timing set and timing cover.

That leaves the top end which depends on what heads are picked: cathedral or rectangle port. If LS3 heads are used, then will also need a L76 intake manifold, MAP sensor relocate and adapter, LS3 fuel rails, LS3 injectors with adapter harness, and cable drive throttle body.

The car will need to be retuned of course.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batboy
The 24X crank reluctor has already been discussed. Texas Speed offers conversion package that will include the LS2 timing cover with camshaft position sensor, LS2 valley cover, LS2 lifter trays, LS2-specific 1x timing set, and plug-n-play harness extensions for the camshaft position sensor and knock sensor.

Knock sensors need to be addressed. The best option seem to be using the Gen III knock sensors relocated to the side of the engine which requires drilling and tapping to fit (Use a hand drill and 8.5mm drill bit to open up the blind M8 female threaded bosses on each side of the lower block where the LS3 knock sensors normally mount or use any un-used M10 engine mount bolt holes.).

Cam can be a 3-bolt LS1/LS2 style cam. But, you need to use the appropriate timing set and timing cover.

That leaves the top end which depends on what heads are picked: cathedral or rectangle port. If LS3 heads are used, then will also need a L76 intake manifold, MAP sensor relocate and adapter, LS3 fuel rails, LS3 injectors with adapter harness, and cable drive throttle body.

The car will need to be retuned of course.
That's much more than you need. You need to swap the LS3 to a 3 bolt cam yes, and you need a cam sprocket from an E40 car like I mentioned (just order a stock one for a 2005 GTO). You do not need to change the timing cover or cam sensor itself...but the crank reluctor will need to be changed. You also do not need to change lifter trays.

As for the knock sensors. EFILive gives access to the switch to use newer flat response sensors or older resonant sensors with the Gen 3 (24x) PCM's (you cannot go the opposite way with newer PCM's...thtat I know of)...you just need to connect the LS3 knock sensors to the correct pins on the PCM and adjust knock sensor settings accordingly. EFILive even tells you which pins to swap...can't do it with HPTuners. Probably can with TunerCat but I don't know.

If it's really an LS3, and you're going to keep LS3 heads on it...just leave the valley cover alone, run the LS3 or an L76 intake manifold, and put the right injector connectors on the harness...then just bolt on a 90mm DBC TB and you'll need a matching bracket for the throttle cable. If you're going to the trouble to change to cathedral port heads and a different intake and everything else...just get a gen 3 engine to begin with...it will cost you a LOT less, and be way less work.

A lot less hardware swapping is necessary than most people think on the engine itself.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Admittedly, the conversion parts I listed are mainly for a LS1 to LS3 swap. However, I would definitely use the Gen III knock sensors like I described. I've heard nightmare stories trying to get the Gen IV knock sensors to work with the older ECMs.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

do what i did to simplify...CARB 4 plugs, a positive and a ground. done!