Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoggin Dickey truck cam??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Im not knockin your cam at all Grey, I have always seen improvments in power with lift being the only difference. You are right, more lift, more spring needed. I actually have considered the same cam you have and the one mentioned in this post.
I was just picken at those preaching about lift
no hard feelings here!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I happened on in another thread here is that this cam is in fact a custom Comp grind on XR lobes, and sure enough its in a Comp box with a Comp cam card
Weather is starting to straighten out here...I can't wait to get this puppy in.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what you all are saying is that with the stock heads anything pretty much above .550 lift is useless. What if I were using 799's milled .030 and some port and polish work, nothing extreme just smoothing out the roughness of the 799 casting, then would lift above .550 make a difference and how much would it take away from low end?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every GM LS head I know of flows great up to .600 even stock. Here are some flow #'s.....
http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by TABBED 5.3
i know this is taking the thread a little more off topic, but i thought overlap had more to do with idle characteristics (lope, chop, whatever) than just the LSA. Not trying to stir anything up, just trying to learn more about cams.
Duration and LSA both figure into ovelap, if you take two cams with the same specs but different LSA's, the one with the tighter LSA will have more overlap, and more overlap = more "lope/chop", among other performance characteristics such as bigger peak numbers
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested to see how this thing does...
Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Every GM LS head I know of flows great up to .600 even stock. Here are some flow #'s.....
http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php
What Rhino said above. As long as the flow doesn't DECREASE in the valve lift curve you're golden. You just have to worry about ramp rates and appropriate spring rates to control the valvetrain mass. There would still be a benefit to going with a cam with .600" lift at the valve in a head that only flows 1 or 2 cfm more compared to at .550". You've got to think about how much more "area under the lift curve" there would be relative to a cam that had a max lift of .550". If you've got a head that stalls out (or reduces cfm) past a certain lift point, you'd want to stay below that for sure, as that would cause severe issues with flow continuity in the middle of the intake stroke. Biggest thing here I still think would be ensuring your valvetrain components are all matched to handle each other (spring rates, lifter capabilities, rocker positioning on valve tip or clearance issues, pushrod strength relative to loading, and PTV clearance).
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
What Rhino said above. As long as the flow doesn't DECREASE in the valve lift curve you're golden. You just have to worry about ramp rates and appropriate spring rates to control the valvetrain mass. There would still be a benefit to going with a cam with .600" lift at the valve in a head that only flows 1 or 2 cfm more compared to at .550". You've got to think about how much more "area under the lift curve" there would be relative to a cam that had a max lift of .550". If you've got a head that stalls out (or reduces cfm) past a certain lift point, you'd want to stay below that for sure, as that would cause severe issues with flow continuity in the middle of the intake stroke. Biggest thing here I still think would be ensuring your valvetrain components are all matched to handle each other (spring rates, lifter capabilities, rocker positioning on valve tip or clearance issues, pushrod strength relative to loading, and PTV clearance).
+1 I never understand why I keep seeing people say that on here about cams with over .550 lift and stock heads. Just because they flow about the same from .550 to .600 doesn't mean you're not gaining anything.

A cam with .600 lift is going to spend a certain duration between .550 and .600 which would be max flow for that head. A cam that peaks at .550 will spend 0 time in that range.

And if the lobes have the same profile, then the higher lift cam is going to get to .550 lift sooner.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Well lookin at that smokem up link a cam with .581 in a lq4, as in my 01 6.0 would be still be useful.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did we install this cam yet? Looking at it to help promote mid-range torque in my 5.3L.

Quick Reply: Scoggin Dickey truck cam??