Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

RADIX trouble ... pulling timing, can't find where

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
*I wanted it on this page too.

Black .. are you talking abou tthe spark retard limit set to 16 all the way across? I don't think I'm having trouble launching it, I can't get it under enough load to test it really.

Something someone said made me think about the Base Spark in gear table though. I'm gonna check it out.
Yeah, spark retard.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
Yeah, spark retard.
I can chime in here... I have played with the Spark Retard Limit too. Stock setting was -15 or something, I currently have it set at +5. This table seems to limit spark retard from all sources - KR, torque reduction, etc. If I have the upshift tq red turned on, the timing dip stops at 5* instead of going to -5* like it used to.
I suspect this table can fix Flyer's timing issue... at least for a while so he can tune it. But it still doesn't explain where his timing drop is coming from. I guess how high you set the spark retard limit depends on your comfort level with the tune...
Old 02-29-2004, 10:04 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by deezel
I can chime in here... I have played with the Spark Retard Limit too. Stock setting was -15 or something, I currently have it set at +5. This table seems to limit spark retard from all sources - KR, torque reduction, etc. If I have the upshift tq red turned on, the timing dip stops at 5* instead of going to -5* like it used to.
I suspect this table can fix Flyer's timing issue... at least for a while so he can tune it. But it still doesn't explain where his timing drop is coming from. I guess how high you set the spark retard limit depends on your comfort level with the tune...
I hope thats not true about it limiting spark retard from knock. I was told that KR still functions like it should, regardless of where the spark retard limit is.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The knock retard function doesn't seem to be affected by the spark retard limit table from my brief dealings with the srl table.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by deezel
This table seems to limit spark retard from all sources - KR
I think he ment minus KR.

I will try this table out once I wrap up moving. I stll have some crap to get out of the house, a bunch of knick knack stuff. I should be done today, so first thing next week, I'll get to mess with that table.

I changed something, and it has gotten notably better, but is not gone completely.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry guys, not clear. All the normal timing tables seem to be directly affected by the spark retard limit. Guys who have set this table pretty high (15-20*) have reported that KR still works properly. I have not tried setting this table above +5*, but at low timing I have seen the KR behave differently in combination with the spark retard limit and upshift torque reduction. Here's an example...
I have my spark retard limit set at 5*. On WOT runs with no KR, the timing drops to 5* for the shift (upshift torque reduction at work). When I get <1* KR, by the time it shifts there is still ~0.5*KR left and I get 4.5* timing on the shift. However, when I get ~3*KR at WOT, there is still 2*KR left at the shift, BUT the timing only drops to 4.5*, not 3* like you would expect.
I don't really know why this happens. Maybe the upshift torque reduction and KR are combined somehow when the reduced timing for the shift is calculated???
Old 03-01-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well ... it was getting better, but then today it started doing it bad again. I think I'm gonna try and up that table to like 10 or so. It's set at 0 and I'm seeing as little as 2* timing when this happens.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flyer
Well ... it was getting better, but then today it started doing it bad again. I think I'm gonna try and up that table to like 10 or so. It's set at 0 and I'm seeing as little as 2* timing when this happens.
Let us know how it works.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK .... I got a new tune loaded in. I filled the whole spark retard table with 15*. I was out driving around some earlier, wasn't logging though, and noticed I barely felt it. I am going to get some logs of it later today or tomorrow to see if I'm still getting the timing drop at all or if it's just dropping to 15 when it should be 17 or 19 and doesn't feel as bad as 2 or 4 when it should be 17 or 19.

I'm also still having one hell of a time getting this idle tuned out.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Talking

Man am I glad I found this thread!! I have the exact same timing hole on my '03 Radix Avalnache. If I mash it at any TP, results are fine. If I am cruising and give it part throttle, I almost always get detonation and the resulting lack of timing. I didn;t get the original superchips tuning as I already had a Predator and Johan felt confident he could make me a custom tune. Well, he tried like hell but I ended up gettting Edit anyway. Now I have found that running the injector flow rate at say 5.05 to 5.15 made a noticable improvement in my 'hole' but it is still there. I am hoping you guys find something that I have been missing as this if so frustrating. What are the thoughts here about using Iridium plugs in a colder range to help offset the detonation? I am in Denver so I have installed a 3.25 pulley to try to get back some of the power lost to elevation problems and most of the guys around here seem to think that unless you run race gas or a water/alky system that you just can't get over 7psi boost without detonating. I think I need to find some more determined tuners and am open to any referrals if anyone knows of someone in my area. (sorry if I rambled here)

Quick Reply: RADIX trouble ... pulling timing, can't find where