Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Oil Catch Can on N/A 5.3 fills FAST...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I do not know if I even have that option, as I have a 2005. The fixed orifice seems to be pressed in there. When I removed the hose, the metal tube left behind does not seem to want to come out.

Did you install the catch can because of smoke at start up? Did it fix it?
I noticed this also.... the smoke at start up is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!! I got to figure out something...

I think the catch can is a good thing as a back-up, however it isnt a real fix since you will have to drainthis and still have oil consumption even though the engine isnt burning it... that has got to be something that can be done..
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I do not know if I even have that option, as I have a 2005. The fixed orifice seems to be pressed in there. When I removed the hose, the metal tube left behind does not seem to want to come out.

Did you install the catch can because of smoke at start up? Did it fix it?
I believe the the "PCV valve" is actually part of the valve cover in 05, not sure where along the line that they changed that. I didn't have any smoke at start up, I installed it after learning of the GENIII's oil consumption issues. Oil on start up is usually a sign of worn valve seals btw...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a side note:

Im glad to see people using the AMW catch cans! They work quite well and are just big enough to do the job for most people under the 500 mark. Making those things is incredibly easy, and nearly every machine at AMW is CNC controlled- I think they only have 2 manual mills and 6 manual lathes.

With the LS being as easy as it is to pull the heads off of, im suprised people don't just yank the heads and install new viton seals. It really doesn't take more than a weekend to accomplish.

You could even do it with the heads on the engine so long as you have it on the compression stroke and have a spark plug adapter to bring compressed air in to hold up the valves. Heads on, your looking at 12 hours labor to do all the seals.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Oil on start up is usually a sign of worn valve seals btw...
Correct, and it may be, but I had this problem last year, and it went away for 8-9 months and now it has come back, so I do not think valve seals fix themselves and then go bad again. I guess weirder things have happened, but this leads me to believe it is probably not the valve seals.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

id check out that slow coolant loss issue... im fairly certain its for 03-04 year models, with 706 heads and the castech (little battery) logo under the rocker stand.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BMRisko
Just as a follow-up, I have not had a chance to do a compression test yet, but I did get a chance to change the oil. Went from full synthetic 5w-30 to MaxLife synthetic blend 10w-40 (I know the owners manual says not to use it, but I have 150k+ and I'm pretty sure its no longer within factory tolerances) and my oil consumption was cut dramatically. Now after 100 miles my catch can only fills about 1/4 of the way...still way too much, but a heck of a lot better than overflowing after 100 miles.
Prior to your oil change, and switching to 10w-40, what were your oil change intervals?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I just wanted to come back and update this thread. I had a knock sensor go out and while replacing those, along with the wiring harness, I also replaced the intake gaskets & oil pressure sensor. All this was done late last year and I am not longer having any oil usage symptoms and the catch can is filling very little. No more smoke at start-up either and the motor is running like a champ. I am also back to running Mobil1 5w-30 and the motor just ticked over 185k miles...

Last edited by BMRisko; 02-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

So do you think it was the intake gaskets that were causing the oil issue?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMRisko
Hey guys, I just wanted to come back and update this thread. I had a knock sensor go out and while replacing those, along with the wiring harness, I also replaced the intake gaskets & oil pressure sensor. All this was done late last year and I am not longer having any oil usage symptoms and the catch can is filling very little. No more smoke at start-up either and the motor is running like a champ. I am also back to running Mobil1 5w-30 and the motor just ticked over 185k miles...
I have this same problem exactly as you. I recently put on new heads so I know my intake manifold gasket is good and my knock sensors looked fine as well. I wanted to ask you did you truck throw any codes for the oil pressure sensor or the knock sensor. Because I'm having this same issues and my truck isn't showing me any codes.