Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: Which should I do?
Dance with Chevy and try to get free cats?
14.29%
Do aftermarket cats?
14.29%
Say WTF and do the LTs and ORY?
71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions needed...catalytic converter stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions needed...catalytic converter stuff

OK, my stock cats are clogged/melted/toasted. I have three avenues to take:

Fight Chevy to replace them under warranty, even though I have a Whipple. I am waiting for a call from my regional EPA office to call me to see where they stand on the issue of the Whipple - does it void the federal warranty? The cats worked really well for the past 3 years. Dollars spent = $0

Buy some aftermarket cats and have the old ones replaced. This is sticky, since I have less than 80k miles and a lot of muffler shops won't do the work since they are still 'under warranty' from the manufacturer up to that point. It seems the EPA prohibits them from even touching anything that has less than 80k on the clock. Dollars spent = about $250 assuming I can find a place to do it.

Just get the LTs from Pacesetter and the ORY and be done with it. Dollars spent = $600 once I get the cutout Y-pipe welded between the ORY and the muffler. (Florida doesn't currently have vehicle inspections nor emissions testing.)

Last edited by CoonToot; 09-05-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

forget the cats.... you will love the LTs and ORY
Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LesPaul
forget the cats.... you will love the LTs and ORY
damn scr8 i'm running shorties and an ORY this is a one answer question. May cost the most but worth the most out of all three choices.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

I don't think there should be any fight with GM regarding catalytic converter replacement under 80,000 miles... with or without the addition of a Whipple. I may be wrong, but I do not recall there being a stipulation in the EPA's clause regarding exhaust component failure stating that forced induction voids any and all warranties. Turbochargers (dunno about superchargers) seem to be considered an emissions related part. I posted a link to the EPA's site regarding this when I had a converter fail on me.

Try this: EPA Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

1BADC10-

That's exactly the tact I am going to take. The local muffler shop specifically told me to call the EPA for that same reason - he aso won't touch it if I have less than 80k miles. The local Chevy dealership hears "supercharger" and they scatter like cockroaches when the lights come on. I am also going to call a few other GM dealerships in the immediate area to see if any have a more accepting attitude. I called GM National Customer Service today as well. They called the Svc Mgr at the local dealer and called me back with a flat "Nope, your entire warranty is void, including emissions equipment." I left messages for 4 different folks at various offices of the EPA...maybe they will call me back.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted aftermarket for a few reasons:
- Getting GM to replace yours will be a huge headache if even successful. They'll have your truck for weeks and they'll dick you around and tell you they are backordered, etc. if your dealer even agrees to do it in the first place.
- Replacement stock ones stand no better chance of surviving than your old stock ones. The dealer is not going to replace your y-pipe (asuming they agree to work on it) they're going to hack your exhaust apart and weld in replacements. Now you've got a product that you know won't last installed by someone playing beat-the-clock with a stick welder.
- Despite the novelty some people here think it is to run around with no catalytic converters, your truck will STINK. Foul grotesque emissions, like a boat. It's nasty. You know what it's like to get behind an old car with an emissions problem, you smell it immediately and move so you don't get a headache, right? You don't want to be *that* guy, do you? lol

I toasted a pair of $180 Magnaflow 3" OBD-II CA-EPA-BS cats in a few months. Those were ceramic elements. (They did their job well though, you could let the exhaust blow into your eyes with no burning at all!) Those were not the right cat for performance.
The ones I am running now are metallic-element Magnaflows and they are holding up well so far! That's what I'd suggest.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Update-

EPA says that the Whipple DOES void the warranty on the catalytic converters. That being the case, the EPA guy is going to fax a letter of "permission" for my local muffler shop to do the install of aftermarket cats. So I am good-to-go there.

James - thanks for pointing out the Stink factor, as I know the stench of which you speak yet I hadn't even thought about it. That fact has made my decision for me - I tow a boat and just purchased a small travel trailer as well. I spend a lot of time at the boat ramp and within campgrounds in close proximity to other folks trying to enjoy some recreational time. I definately don't want to be the guy with stink in those situations. You still are running the Magnaflow 59959s, correct? Those are the type, albeit maybe not the size, I want to go with.