Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obx style headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Did you actually measure with a tape to make sure they're 1 3/4" primaries?

Also, just do this for a permanent fix on the wire

I wouldn't call it a permanent fix. On my Dyantechs, the MSD wires weren't even close to touching the primaries and when I removed them I noticed on a couple of the wires started to be burnt through. It just gets so hot around the primaries that it burns the wires eventually. I think the absolutely best way to get around that hump is to buy the 8.1L plug wire which is much longer and actually route it around the primary.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction
so all and all they fit fine? how do you like the performance gains? im lookin to get some befor the blackbear tune i think.
They fit great IMHO. Check out the pics I posted in my thread.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=450962

Before the headers, I spent about 5 hours one Saturday "street tuning" my truck, and felt I had it about as good as I could have gotten it. I'll need to do a little tweaking to the fueling after adding the headers, but even without doing anything except deleting the rear O2 sensor codes, my truck's running very well. It's a daily driver truck that I actually haul and pull with, so it's surely no dyno queen, but I can say without a doubt that the truck feels like it revs quicker, smoother and easier than ever before. It's definitely louder too, lol.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I wouldn't call it a permanent fix. On my Dyantechs, the MSD wires weren't even close to touching the primaries and when I removed them I noticed on a couple of the wires started to be burnt through. It just gets so hot around the primaries that it burns the wires eventually. I think the absolutely best way to get around that hump is to buy the 8.1L plug wire which is much longer and actually route it around the primary.
So, do you think that swapping on two of those longer plug wires, and some heat sleeving would be the way to go? Are the 8.1's plug wires that much longer?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah, one of the members here did it. Can't remember his name though.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
yeah, one of the members here did it. Can't remember his name though.
Maybe I'll do that also, because I was looking at it today and don't think my fatass hands are going to be starting any bolts in any homemade bracketry anytime soon, lol. In the meantime, my ten wraps of turbo exhaust wrapping on those two wires is working great, but looks like crap.

Thanks for the tip.