Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson Fan Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Fan Harness

I bought a set of electric fans from a 2002 WS6 Firebird off ebay. I already had my PCM set to control them when I got my tune. I would like to use the Nelson harness but there is no technical information about them on their website, so I sent them an e-mail asking about details. The response didn't answer my questions. For those of you who have already done this with the Nelson harness:

Does it come with the necessary relays?
Does it use the AC clutch engage to run one fan when the AC is on?
How does it connect to the PCM?
Other than fabricating brackets for the fans, is the Nelson harness all else that is required to complete the e-fan installation?

Regarding the fans, that Firebird must have been used for off-road racing. Not only are they dirtier than the fan in my previous truck after ten years, but one fan may have dirt in a bearing. It isn't smooth to turn by hand like the other one and it doesn't seem to run as fast as the other one. I'll try a little lubricant to see if it cleans up before installing them. The mfg code on the shroud does indicate 02, but there is no arrow on the pointer and the other end of the pointer is on the 98, so I don't know for sure. They were advertised as out of a 2002.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

good reading from another forum;

http://forum.ls1truck.com/index.php?showtopic=2881

theres a link to the install and features.
should answer every question you have
Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes on the relays, the relays kick both fans on when the a/c is turned on.
it has a little pin and you just take the pcm and plug it right into pin number ?? i forget. but its easy. well you have to cut a little slice out of the postive battery cover. so you can stick the pos. wire to it. but other then that its pretty much an easy install.
the stock fan is a pain to get off. i used a big pipe wrench. good luck
Old 11-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I didn't see the final decision on fan operation in the link to Allen Nelson's discussion on how to control the fans, but from Larry's response, it sounds like he went with both fans on from either temp or AC signal rather than each fan separately controlled. That probably makes for more effective cooling.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to him on the phone today, they're about $90.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:59 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sportfish
Regarding the fans, that Firebird must have been used for off-road racing. Not only are they dirtier than the fan in my previous truck after ten years, but one fan may have dirt in a bearing. It isn't smooth to turn by hand like the other one and it doesn't seem to run as fast as the other one. I'll try a little lubricant to see if it cleans up before installing them. The mfg code on the shroud does indicate 02, but there is no arrow on the pointer and the other end of the pointer is on the 98, so I don't know for sure. They were advertised as out of a 2002.
Just an FYI...my fans came off of an LT1 car (not sure of the year) and they were absolutely FILTHY when I got them. I used a LOT of Simple Green and elbow grease, and they turned out good as new. Just an FYI for ya.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scream
Just an FYI...my fans came off of an LT1 car (not sure of the year) and they were absolutely FILTHY when I got them. I used a LOT of Simple Green and elbow grease, and they turned out good as new. Just an FYI for ya.
Yeah, I'm sure they will clean up nicely or they won't go into my spotless engine compartment. I just can't imagine how a large component out of a two year old Firebird could get so dirty. It's really the one fan that concerns me more than the appearance.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

on the nelson harness i have.
a/c on -engine cool-1 fan 100%
engine reaches temp no a/c fans at 50%
a/c and engine to temp-2 fans 100%.