Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your opinion on this price.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion on this price.....

I know it must seem like im a post ***** with all the posting iv been doing lately but hey just tryin to get some input

So I finally got my headers the other day in the mail, looking for someone to install and my dad just happens to know people at a shop.

So he goes in and asks them for complete install which will include: install of course, o2 extensions, welding on some flanges to the headers, reinstallment of current exhaust pipes (replacing if necessary), and reinstallment of cats, and retuning the computer if necessary

He recommended I have cats on for now since I am military and I will be moving the truck up from San Antonio TX to Jacksonville NC and I will need to pass inspections until I find a place where I can without them

He says 700 for come in drive out not a thing else needed for all that. Does it sound high to you all for what hes doing? I thought it kind of was....
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself and pocket $700 if you can. Surely you know someone with a welder that can weld the O2 bungs, and to install the headers themselves is pretty easy, get a scan cable tune from Blackbear (or other sponsor) for 250-300, O2 extentions are like 30 bucks or something.

I did my entire exhaust, headers to tail pipe in about 8 hours, and that was with f-ups.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dmelvin
Do it yourself and pocket $700 if you can. Surely you know someone with a welder that can weld the O2 bungs, and to install the headers themselves is pretty easy, get a scan cable tune from Blackbear (or other sponsor) for 250-300, O2 extentions are like 30 bucks or something.

I did my entire exhaust, headers to tail pipe in about 8 hours, and that was with f-ups.
Well the thing is im not there lol this is about 15 hours away from me
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Teching In

i did it myself and the headers i bought came with 6 bungs actually ( the ebay headers) 4 for 02 sensors and 2 for idk i know one is for wideband not sure on the other one and idk why you need 02 extensions unless your talking about the bungs all my wires had no issue with length and also the headers i bought came with the "fake cats" in case they do a visual inspection i assume but if you get it tuned you should have no problems with emissions and with the price i would have no idea i work on my vehicles myself and if i cant do it my friends help me
Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats outrageous. let say they used o2 extensions and they cost 50 bucks at tops. thats 650 bucks in labor. seeing its nothing but labor needed and welding. at 60 bucks a hour thats almost 11 hours of labor they charging. i did my lpp and y pipe in like 3 hours. thats taken old exhuast off and manifolds. bolting longtubes on with studs, changing spark plugs. then taken my crossmember off. putting the y pipe on, then cutting my crossmember for where the y pipe hit it. painting it. installing o2's. putting crossmember back in.

in a driveway with it on jackstands and only having help when i needed it, not consistent.

and for a shop with lift thats a lot of time. and any normal exhuast shop can weld up some true dauls from header back in like 2 hours tops. but your just welding to exhuast you already have.

crazy man.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Yea see exactly why I told him not to take it there. 700 is just crazy. I might still need cats though, because I looked up and alot of people saying they got a sensor that sticks on to your tail pipe to sense if you got cats or not. Its Jacksonville North Carolina if anyones ever been.

I told my dad to try and find someone else, but after driving my truck he got the "speed bug" in him again he says (just sold his 2000 Formula Trans Am ) and wants to see if him and his buddy can do it, and just drive it open headers a few blocks to a muffler shop. Anyone know if im able to fit true dual under my truck?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

tell him to bring it up to Longview and ill do it in my damn driveway for less than that, lol. 700 bucks is too steep. I just did my entire exhaust from headers to tip in about 5 hours and thats with new plugs and removing the crossmember. granted everything on mine was 100% bolt on with no welding but still, a shop can easily weld up your current exhaust to a set of LTs, sounds to me like theyre just trying to make a huge profit.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Yea I just about freaked when he said 700. I laughed and said seriously? Lol must be crazy to think anyone is that stupid. It's not even an f body its a truck come on haha I'd attempt it myself with some assistance for a learning experience and be pissed off for a whole day and hate the headers (since it'd be my first time doing it on my own) but once again me not being there screws things up. 700.... haha