FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trans/converter and procharger question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/converter and procharger question

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a stock 07 nnbs regular cab bone stock. I immediately sold the stock 4.8 motor and 4l60e trans.

I'm currently building a stout ls3 418 stroker as we speak and will be going in a few weeks. I currently have a very lightly used P1 but don't think it will be worth its salt in the build. All other fuel and accessory mods etc etc are taken care of.

I went with a house of boost 8 rib bracket system for the procharger but need a bigger head unit. Do you think I should trade it back to procharger with a $1200 check for a D1? I will not be using the P1 for sure, so open to suggestions.

This will be a somewhat daily driver so I want some decent power (600-650whp) but be pretty reliable. I know those two don't typically coincide... I will also be running e85 as well.

I think staying in the D1 realm will be able to make that power and be better for ripping around the street with more midrange and lower end boost than a F1 series. God knows I want the ultimate F1x but I need to tame myself on this build. I already have another high hp turbo car being built for a purpose. This truck will be 99% street use only!

The next question is trans. I'll be putting in a 4l80e asap but narrowed it down. It's between a RPM or Jakes. I've really read great stuff about both but want best trans for the buck to handle that hp with no problems. I don't want to be on the fringe of whatever their power levels claim, but not overkill as well.

What do you think I should use and what level trans?

Lastly, the converter. Looking at PTC, Pro torque, or Yank. I'm leaning towards PTC but open to opinions. Also, I know its tough to be spot on but roughly what stall you think would be best for my application?

It's a full weight truck and will be primarily used for grocery shopping, in town errands, and hurting some feelings at a 40 roll, hopefully not mine!

Thanks guys for your opinions. Look forward to hearing your thoughts
Old 09-19-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOBBN
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a stock 07 nnbs regular cab bone stock. I immediately sold the stock 4.8 motor and 4l60e trans.

I'm currently building a stout ls3 418 stroker as we speak and will be going in a few weeks. I currently have a very lightly used P1 but don't think it will be worth its salt in the build. All other fuel and accessory mods etc etc are taken care of.

I went with a house of boost 8 rib bracket system for the procharger but need a bigger head unit. Do you think I should trade it back to procharger with a $1200 check for a D1? I will not be using the P1 for sure, so open to suggestions.

This will be a somewhat daily driver so I want some decent power (600-650whp) but be pretty reliable. I know those two don't typically coincide... I will also be running e85 as well.

I think staying in the D1 realm will be able to make that power and be better for ripping around the street with more midrange and lower end boost than a F1 series. God knows I want the ultimate F1x but I need to tame myself on this build. I already have another high hp turbo car being built for a purpose. This truck will be 99% street use only!

The next question is trans. I'll be putting in a 4l80e asap but narrowed it down. It's between a RPM or Jakes. I've really read great stuff about both but want best trans for the buck to handle that hp with no problems. I don't want to be on the fringe of whatever their power levels claim, but not overkill as well.

What do you think I should use and what level trans?

Lastly, the converter. Looking at PTC, Pro torque, or Yank. I'm leaning towards PTC but open to opinions. Also, I know its tough to be spot on but roughly what stall you think would be best for my application?

It's a full weight truck and will be primarily used for grocery shopping, in town errands, and hurting some feelings at a 40 roll, hopefully not mine!

Thanks guys for your opinions. Look forward to hearing your thoughts
the P1 and D1 are identical save the case or machined impeller (usta be a difference of about 100-200 bucks new way back when) I would say keep your blower and get an upgraded aftermarket impeller to start.

4L80's are stout in stock form, I cracked my flex plate and pulled mine to have a buddy rebuild my factory original 4L80 with 130k miles (at least 40 boosted, at least 20 towing 2-4k lbs above my factory ratings at 200 deg trans temps) all I went with was a stock rebuild with a mild transgo HD with red eagle frictions, no hardened guts etc. (yes the power is a bit lower on a currently stock ly6 with 10 pounds, but with my 7000# I have NO wheelspin its all drivetrain load)

As for converter I went with protorque just because they're local, and I got a converter at shop price. The guys are circle D are well recommended, I would talk to them. I have a maggie and I tow so I went stock size with a 2500 stall, you'll probably want to go a bit smaller and higher with a procharger.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like a very stout plan. I've done the D1sc street truck thing and it can very fast and still reliable. When my truck was on the street with the d1 and 4l80, it ran high 10's at 4550lbs. To answer some of your questions, yes upgrade to the d1sc. Prochargers love loose converters, so you'll have to decide how you will be driving the thing and what you can put up with. When I first got mine going, I had a Precision Vigilante that flashed to about 2500 rpm and the truck ran 12.70's at 114 mph. Only change was converter, went to a Precision Vigilante that flashed 3600 and very first pass with zero other changes, truck went 11.40's at 121 mph.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, ended up going with a jakes 4l80e and their triple disk billet converter. excited to see how it performs. Going to sell my P1 and buy a d1.