Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More power for my lq9

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power for my lq9

i have a 2004 vho and i hear that lt's, ls6 intake, l92 heads, ls7 cam(or really any cam), and tune are great to make that specific motor come alive. Any other opinions anyone. also i have already got someone givin me l92 heads so if i get only the heads is a tune necessary. thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You’re going to have to do some more research for what is compatible and what is not. All of the parts you’ve listed will fit an LQ9, but not all together and in some cases just not worthwhile to begin with. The L92 heads are a nice upgrade, but they require a rectangular port style intake such as a truck style L92 unit, a car style L76, or an aftermarket intake with matching ports. The LS6 intake has traditional Gen III style cathedral ports and is not compatible with the L92 heads. Also, besides the modifications required to install the lower car style intakes on a truck, most find that they really don’t perform as well as one would hope for the amount of work it takes to install, and some even report a performance decrease due to lost low speed torque. You would be best served purchasing an aftermarket camshaft as well, due to the LS7 camshaft being designed for a Gen IV motor and as such not having the reluctor wheel located at the back of the cam like a Gen III. You can install a Gen IV cam in a Gen III, but it requires using a LS2 or similar timing cover with the camshaft position sensor in it and lengthening the camshaft position sensor wiring harness to reach it.

And yes, from the amount of parts you’re looking to change, a tune will be required.