Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS6 Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS6 Advice Needed

Hello all,

Have another ignorant question, hope no one minds. Not sure I mentioned previously but I have a '04 CTS-V sitting in my garage collecting dust. The motor has about 140k miles I believe, haven't checked in a while. I'm planning on getting rid of the car but was thinking maybe I should try to pull out the motor and either sell it or possibly install it in my '12 Sierra.

Would I be able to use an LS6 in a '12 Sierra without a ton of mods which will make it financially untenable? I'm not really sure an LS6 would be much of an upgrade over a LC9 5.3 either (I think the truck has a LC9). Just removed most of the interior of the cab to find a water leak and now I'm kind of hooked on working on the truck. Was planning on doing a cam install with supporting mods. I know basically nothing about working on vehicles besides basic maintenance stuff but I really want to learn and I'm in no rush. The truck is just a secondary vehicle.

Would you guys use the LS6 or try to sell it to help pay for a cam swap for the LC9 5.3 or use the funds for a 6.0 swap? The 5.3 in the truck has 118k miles. Just bought the truck about two weeks ago and love most things about the truck but would like a bit more torque/power.

Also I emailed Summit Racing and Texas Speed about cam kit recommendations but haven't received a response lol. Probably because I'm so ignorant about this stuff that the response would be too time consuming lol.

P.S. Saw the thread about the LS6 into a '99 Silverado but wanted to ensure it would also be possible with a '12 Sierra.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

a 2000 ecsb truck I had went from 13.88 to 13.22 in the 1/4 mile by swapping my stock bottom 5.3 LM7 to a stock bottom 5.7 LS1 (weaker heads than LS6). no changes other than the stock long block swap and a tune for the added cubes.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
a 2000 ecsb truck I had went from 13.88 to 13.22 in the 1/4 mile by swapping my stock bottom 5.3 LM7 to a stock bottom 5.7 LS1 (weaker heads than LS6). no changes other than the stock long block swap and a tune for the added cubes.
You ran a 13.2 1/4 mile with a 5.3 in a heavy *** truck!? Wow, that's impressive. I was thinking these trucks with a 5.3 would be closer to around a 16 second quarter mile vehicle lol. They are really heavy tanks. Previous owner also put a body lift on it which I really want to remove plus aggressive off-road tires. I have to be honest, I'll rarely take this truck off-road so no point in posing as a off-roader lol.

The more I read about these little mighty 5.3s the more I'm thinking I should just stick with it. Heard they're super reliable and relatively easy to find/cheap to buy used.

Whoops, totally misread your post lol. Okay sounds like a LS6 swap would make sense, assuming I can hook everything up in a '12 Sierra
Old 04-27-2021, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Also, if anyone has recommendations on books to read/videos to watch, etc. that would make things a little more dummy proof I would be really grateful. Right now I have these books that I'm reading and taking notes from:

Old 04-27-2021, 03:15 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

You'll have to pull the Gen3 LS6 crankshaft and have a 58X reluctor wheel installed. If you were doing a Gen4 engine to a Gen3 vehicle there is a 58X to 24X converter box to keep the 58X crank wheel. Unfortunately no one makes a 24X engine to a 58X vehicle. You could move to Holley engine management but would need a workaround to maintain the factory gauges. I'd probably sell the LS6 and use those funds to mod the Gen4 engine. LS6 should bring a good price.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
You'll have to pull the Gen3 LS6 crankshaft and have a 58X reluctor wheel installed. If you were doing a Gen4 engine to a Gen3 vehicle there is a 58X to 24X converter box to keep the 58X crank wheel. Unfortunately no one makes a 24X engine to a 58X vehicle. You could move to Holley engine management but would need a workaround to maintain the factory gauges. I'd probably sell the LS6 and use those funds to mod the Gen4 engine. LS6 should bring a good price.
Ah okay, was afraid of that. Can't believe no one makes something to convert a gen3 engine for use in a gen4 vehicle. Guess I'll put the CTS-V up for sale on Craigslist or something, list it as a "project vehicle" lol. Maybe do $3k obo. If no one buys it in a few weeks I'll attempt to pull the engine out. My wife is pestering me to get rid of the car so we can use the garage again lol. Never pulled an engine before so hopefully I can figure it out.

I've heard the LS6 is kind of rare so hoping I can get at least $2k or so. That should be a good amount to get started with either upgrading the 5.3 in the truck or maybe, if I'm really lucky, buying a 6.0 or 6.2 gen4 engine from the local junk yards near me and trying my hand at rebuilding. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like too much work for little gain.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:14 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

second that - the Gen3 engine into a Gen4 truck is the problem. you could also get something for that T56, too, because CTS-Vs & GTOs were the only ones using that M12 gearset and designed to run a driveshaft (instead of bolting to the diff in the Corvette).
Old 04-27-2021, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by _zebra
second that - the Gen3 engine into a Gen4 truck is the problem. you could also get something for that T56, too, because CTS-Vs & GTOs were the only ones using that M12 gearset and designed to run a driveshaft (instead of bolting to the diff in the Corvette).
Oh yeah good idea. Not sure how much I could get for it though. Can't get into second gear. From what I've read it sounds like the synchro. Not sure what else it needs though.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Not detailed engine specific, but the best thing I bought to help with my repairs was the factory service manual.
Here they are on ebay, all 5 books for $450, and thats probably a great price...

2012 Chevrolet Silverado Cheyenne GMC Sierra Factory Service Shop Manuals CK... | eBay

ORRRRR, you can do what I did and many others and buy the PDF version for $14.
GMC Sierra 2007-2013 Factory Service Repair Manual | eBay

I find that the service manuals (which have parts diagrams, torque specs for every nut and bolt, diagnostic procedures for problems, repair procedures... Example: My manual for a 2002 has 232 pages on the brakes, the section for engines is 3,882 pages, and I think its just shy of 8 or 9K pages total), really have helped when I just can't find a certain detail.

I find that using this manual along with youtube videos really helps get two different sides to repairs.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adriver
Not detailed engine specific, but the best thing I bought to help with my repairs was the factory service manual.
Here they are on ebay, all 5 books for $450, and thats probably a great price...

2012 Chevrolet Silverado Cheyenne GMC Sierra Factory Service Shop Manuals CK... | eBay

ORRRRR, you can do what I did and many others and buy the PDF version for $14.
GMC Sierra 2007-2013 Factory Service Repair Manual | eBay

I find that the service manuals (which have parts diagrams, torque specs for every nut and bolt, diagnostic procedures for problems, repair procedures... Example: My manual for a 2002 has 232 pages on the brakes, the section for engines is 3,882 pages, and I think its just shy of 8 or 9K pages total), really have helped when I just can't find a certain detail.

I find that using this manual along with youtube videos really helps get two different sides to repairs.
Damn over 3k pages! Must be super detailed. This is perfect! Thanks! Yeah I like $14 a lot more than $450 so I think I'll go the pdf route lol. Just hoping my wife puts up with me always want to work on the truck, can't get enough of getting my hands dirty fixing/working on stuff. It's a great escape from working in front of a computer all day.