Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS2 throttle body harness adapters

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s on the firewall to the right of your master cylinder when looking from the front of the truck underneath the fender brace. It’s a black box that is about 3.5” tall x 4” long and about 1.5” thick with two plugs on the bottom of it. 2001 & 2002 models use the same TAC module and the Speartech style pig-tail adapters are the proper way of installing the LS2 type throttle bodies. Just as what has already been mentioned though, the earlier style Nick Williams 102mm throttle bodies designed for the LS6 Corvette’s and CTS-V’s fit with no modifications needed to the wiring, as they used the same style throttle body motor as what you currently have on your truck, it’s just the car versions have the motor located on the opposite side of the throttle blade. The adapter harness will also work on the later models, but the throttle blade will most likely not open over 85% and is where the X-Link comes into play to correct this issue.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my stock 78mm truck TB, works as It should:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXUWy69rwc&feature=related

This is what happens when I hook up the LS1 to LS2 adapter harness and the 90mm LS2 TB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W6u29P-z2o&NR=1

This is me cycling the key from off to on. The TB did not respond to any pedal inputs at all. I just turned the key to on and the blade would snap open then close.

TPiS was looking into a 1998-2004 C5 TB. They thought that would work. Maybe they are the same as the CTS-V? Hopefully I will hear back from them this week. Id rather not run an adapter if possible.

Do you guys think a 90mm upgrade is enough or is porting the blower inlet to match a 102mm going to show a substantial gain?

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 12-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

So I was messing with this again this afternoon. It dawns on me that my OEM TB blade moves the opposite direction of the LS2 and C5 Vette TB. I grab my adapter harness and swap the two wires for the TB blade motor and I get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeGS8...ature=youtu.be

So, I guess I will install it and see if it works when the engine is running and see if it throws a code.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the throttle body end up working properly when you flipped the wires?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM

yes it has since worked perfectly. I have recently acquired a 102 millimeter throttle body. I put a C5 TB motor on it so I had to switch the wires back. Reversing the wires just controls which way the TB blade opens.

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 04-25-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
yes it has since worked perfectly. I have recently acquired a 102 millimeter throttle body. I put a C5 TB motor on it so I had to switch the wires back. Reversing the wires just controls which way the TB blade opens.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it applies to what I'm encountering on my 2001 GMC C3 - I'm using a Hinson adapter harness to plug into an LS2/LS7 90mm ETC, and get the same response you did from the larger throttle body - when key is turned on, the blade snaps open quickly twice, then closes and won't do anything after that, plus it sets a Reduced Engine Power code on the DIC in the dash.

If I just simply swap the 2 wires powering the throttle body motor, will that resolve the issue? It appears to have worked on yours.

I'm also curious if you noticed any difference when you upgraded to a 102mm throttle body - I'm building a Magnuson blown 408 stroker for this truck, and wonder if the 90mm is large enough, or if stepping up to a 102mm and porting the blower inlet is worth it.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TB should snap closed, not open, when you switch the key on. Sounds like those wires need to be reversed.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Default Did I just fry my PCM? This is not good.

I swapped the 2 wires from the throttle body motor plug and tried the 90mm throttle body on my 2001 C3 by just plugging it into the engine harness using a Hinson Motorsports adapter harness just to see if it would work right (throttle body is going on the 408 supercharged stroker I'm bulding for C3). Well, it seemed to work OK for a minute or so, would open and close responding to the gas pedal (engine off, of course), then it quit working and I got the "Reduced Engine Power" warning on the DIC in the dash. I figured the different throttle body had just confused the computer, so removed it and hooked the engine wiring back the stock throttle body on the truck - when I tried to start it, it won't start. Still get the "Reduced Engine power" code on the DIC, engine will crank, but won't start. Checked and reseated the 2 throttle body connectors, both are clean and tight.

Pulled the error codes, I get a P0606 PCM processor fault and a P1518 throttle acutator faulty. Tried to reset the codes, they won't clear. Unhooked both battery cables, touched them together briefly to clear the ECM memory, let it sit for a while, hooked the battery back up - same problem. No start, same DIC error, same DTC's that won't clear.

Luckily, I still have the orignal PCM (one that's giving me the trouble is one Butch at Westers' tuned for me years ago, never had a problem with it until now), so I removed the PCM that's giving me the codes and stuck the original in. Starts right up, no codes. Good, but I can't drive the truck with the original PCM, since it's not tuned for the Popwerdyne setup and 42-lb/hr injectors I've got on it now.

Did the 90mm LS2 throttle body somehow fry the tuned PCM? Or is it just really confused and needs to be reset with some other type of tool than the code scanner I have?

Last edited by earlybroncoguy; 02-13-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Don't EVER touch the battery cables together!!! Even if the battery cables are disconnected, If there is a residual charge in any of the modules it could back feed through the electrical system and fry the computer.

I haven't come across the P060 PCM processor fault before. What are you reading the codes with???

P060 should be something with the O2 sensors.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Sorry, typo. P 0606 PCM Processor fault, and P1518 throttle actuator signal fault. Reading codes (and trying to reset them) with a SuperChips Cortex tuner.