Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L33- Future turbo- College school Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default L33- Future turbo- College school Build

So I've been selected for opinions/build on this 5.3 swap, as most know the L33 has the 243 heads on it. Which I was explaining to the instructor/Tech about running LS9 head gaskets for the future Turbo that will be installed on this car. There is a concern about the bore size of the gasket vs a MLS 5.3 gasket. I say LS9 -they are thinking Felpro MLS 5.3 bore size. (any advise?)

A Little run down of the project:

The build is wanted to be done on the cheaper side compare to there 1995 mustang cobra that has a 428 cobra jet motor running on alcohol and making consistent passes of 10.0xx

This build will be E85 in a 1993 Camaro - The motor was a donor from Toyota (haha) is basically brand new. the car had a slightly worked up 350 in it that pushed the car 12.5 before. The goal Is to kill this damn mustang for a fraction on the cost.

So far this is what we have came up with

L33 piston rings need to be gapped to .024-.025
BTR stage two turbo cam
LS2 timing chain
LS7 lifters and trays (DOD delete)
Valley cover replaced already
Pac springs (donors already)THX PAC
Push rods
Trinion UPdate
LS9 Gaskets
ARP heads Studs - on order
ARP Rod bolts- (they want)
I donated a LS1 intake (which I know sucks- truck intake wont fit under hood)
3 bolt to 4 bolt 90 mm throttle body adapter
1000cc injectors (still undecided)
dual fuel pumps (340-aero-motive stealth) ( already have)
LS car oil pan and pick up (needed)
4L80e build (undecided
Converter (size is undecided)

Future (not in budget)
Custom manifold setup for a turbo
Turbo 76mm?88mm?
cold piping
Intercooler
An fittings and lines
rear end

Any Advice will be greatly appreciated
Donations will go on car for advertisements

Ill share photos if people want- This may then be needed to be moved to "projects"
Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Your engine must be a Gen IV setup and not an L33 at all if you are needing an LS2 chain and components to delete the AFM. You need to consider you have a 58X reluctor on the crank and not 24 teeth like an L33 would have but if you have the controller and harness with the engine you should be in good shape.

Most guys would say run LS9's... I don't build anything for fun stuff with less than a 4" bore so I have no experience with it on the small bore block.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Your engine must be a Gen IV setup and not an L33 at all if you are needing an LS2 chain and components to delete the AFM. You need to consider you have a 58X reluctor on the crank and not 24 teeth like an L33 would have but if you have the controller and harness with the engine you should be in good shape.

Most guys would say run LS9's... I don't build anything for fun stuff with less than a 4" bore so I have no experience with it on the small bore block.
well this is a good point, I have not built a newer style motor yet- my gen 3 was back in 08’

just got asked last Thursday about this build- aluminum block 5.3 so maybe LC9? they told me they got the valley cover delete- they have a aftermarket controller and harness for it already for 58x system

ill get vin off block to varify
Old 02-08-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So when is the turbo going to be in the budget?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:01 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BudRacing
So when is the turbo going to be in the budget?

so it was planned this year - however the school cut budget in some areas - which turned this into prep for turbo build- and run N/A with intentions to turbo next year....agh it’s hard to set a goal without all the parts-

we are trying to figure a way out on how to get a S475 ... waiting to hear if it will get approved to buy- from what I’m learning school budgets and what they can spend is interesting

Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If the budget was cut, I probably would have switched to sloppy style. Gap the rings, reuse head gaskets and bolts, would have to do lifters since it's a DOD, but reuse trays and rods. Dual fuel pumps as planned, decapped injectors to get it near 500whp, junkyard 4L80 with a 3k stall. If you're fabbing your own hotside, that helps. Fender or hood exit would be cheapest, but based on the LS1 intake choice over cutting the hood that may not be permissible. Since 93 camaros are pretty light, I would imagine that could get you in or damn near 10's with the right tires and gear.

Granted there's a lot of compromise in that setup, it's very budget and goal oriented.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 PM
13 Second Truck Club

If the budget was cut, I probably would have switched to sloppy style. Gap the rings, reuse head gaskets and bolts, would have to do lifters since it's a DOD, but reuse trays and rods. Dual fuel pumps as planned, decapped injectors to get it near 500whp, junkyard 4L80 with a 3k stall. If you're fabbing your own hotside, that helps. Fender or hood exit would be cheapest, but based on the LS1 intake choice over cutting the hood that may not be permissible. Since 93 camaros are pretty light, I would imagine that could get you in or damn near 10's with the right tires and gear.

Granted there's a lot of compromise in that setup, it's very budget and goal oriented.
the tech here says it’s a l33- I see I need to look up vin

Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Not surprising the tech is clueless lol. No VVT makes it 2009 and older and that 9 in the Vin means 2009. So LC9 is the most likely designation. But whatever.. He wants to call a gen 4 a gen 3 have at it and nobody will tell him different anyway.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 02-08-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:36 AM
13 Second Truck Club

i like your style, lol the budget started at 8k then 5k to under 3k all within a few days of talking about build

the talk has been back and forth on cheap smaller twins but the school can’t buy off eBay I guess. So as of last night they found some cheap amazon twins that will probably fail or have a very short life or not do what we want - they said they will be happy if they could get 30 passes out of these cheap turbos (gt35’s) I’m beating my head against the wall on it
Old 02-09-2018, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

your list is already pretty long. Id focus on the foundation first. Core engine and trans. Stuff you don't want to re do in the future.

I like 28 gap on the rings.
I also used multi-layer 5.3 head gaskets on mine. ALOT of people use 6.0 head gaskets but i never understood it, the bores are not the same.
Re use your oem head bolts, you can always upgrade with boost

4l80 with shift kit. Just get it in and driving. worry about the converter later.

TB - why not use a 3 bolt instead of converting to 4. again seems like extra

I think you should get the basics up and running before jumping into a full out build.
The following users liked this post:
LOWRIDERGMC (02-11-2018)

Quick Reply: L33- Future turbo- College school Build