Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

L33- Future turbo- College school Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx

i like your style, lol the budget started at 8k then 5k to under 3k all within a few days of talking about build

the talk has been back and forth on cheap smaller twins but the school can’t buy off eBay I guess. So as of last night they found some cheap amazon twins that will probably fail or have a very short life or not do what we want - they said they will be happy if they could get 30 passes out of these cheap turbos (gt35’s) I’m beating my head against the wall on it
Twins seem completely counter-intuitive when it comes to budget, especially considering drag racing is the goal.

They look pretty for symmetrical purposes and spool marginally faster, but... more plumbing, more fittings, another wastegate...

Most people I've heard talking about the ebay turbos who have used them say skip it. There are better cheap turbos to be had. Example

Have you been checking the sloppy combos for parts lists? I'm pretty sure presenting those proven setups would help get the project headed in the right direction.

Working Combinations | Sloppy Mechanics
Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll confirm that that is an LC9 from 2009. Non VVT single pattern camshaft same as L33 but made for AFM.

Great motor btw!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Twins seem completely counter-intuitive when it comes to budget, especially considering drag racing is the goal.

They look pretty for symmetrical purposes and spool marginally faster, but... more plumbing, more fittings, another wastegate...

Most people I've heard talking about the ebay turbos who have used them say skip it. There are better cheap turbos to be had. Example

Have you been checking the sloppy combos for parts lists? I'm pretty sure presenting those proven setups would help get the project headed in the right direction.

Working Combinations Sloppy Mechanics
yes, when they mentioned twins they got excited, not seeing budget (some) I also donated some stock LQ4 manifolds that day to so it turned the ideas into “what ifs way more” I could cut this weld that kind of thing

im with you on that example site for that turbo. I say single myself. Granted the turbo setup is for next years budget (still not understanding this school budget stuff)

sloppy mechanics is priceless I actually sent a YouTube video of the fairmont to the teacher before this whole project got rolling...

Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Choda
your list is already pretty long. Id focus on the foundation first. Core engine and trans. Stuff you don't want to re do in the future.

I like 28 gap on the rings.
I also used multi-layer 5.3 head gaskets on mine. ALOT of people use 6.0 head gaskets but i never understood it, the bores are not the same.
Re use your oem head bolts, you can always upgrade with boost

4l80 with shift kit. Just get it in and driving. worry about the converter later.

TB - why not use a 3 bolt instead of converting to 4. again seems like extra

I think you should get the basics up and running before jumping into a full out build.

why do you like .028? Curious is all

Im understanding what your saying about getting foundation!!!!! We have 5 other heads on project, stuff gets twisted easy I’m seeing.... then we have teachers that throw out the this motor will never hold up to 1000hp without forged internals (old school guys) and 90% of the group wants to prove them wrong.

ill find out more about this trans next week

for the throttle body the said they had a 90 mm 4 bolt already- we Will see (haven’t seen it yet)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by swathdiver
I'll confirm that that is an LC9 from 2009. Non VVT single pattern camshaft same as L33 but made for AFM.

Great motor btw!
thank you! Good to know! I did find some info out also
same as you about being a 2009 but that’s really about it. Last 6 of vin is kind of hard to search
Old 02-09-2018, 10:05 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Not surprising the tech is clueless lol. No VVT makes it 2009 and older and that 9 in the Vin means 2009. So LC9 is the most likely designation. But whatever.. He wants to call a gen 4 a gen 3 have at it and nobody will tell him different anyway.
the guy is a smart guy, good with electrical... this motor he just swears is a l33, I told him if it’s a 58x good chance it’s a LC9 ..... straight faced says no I looked up vin it’s all good- I searched a couple class rooms before I found the block to get the numbers
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Well stubborn and ill informed. It only bites you in the *** when you wonder why it won't run with a Gen 3 computer but since you have a 58X setup that won't matter.

Any GM dealer can give you full vehicle history off those numbers..... it's why they only ask for like the last 8 when you go in to the parts department. But honestly who cares at this point. Just feed it lots of boost and it all comes out in the wash.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

keep the camshaft mild and let the turbocharger do the work when you all get it. Keep it a single turbo set up like a 60-1. The 4L80 will tame the launch/bottom end torque due to its gearing.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by swathdiver
keep the camshaft mild and let the turbocharger do the work when you all get it. Keep it a single turbo set up like a 60-1. The 4L80 will tame the launch/bottom end torque due to its gearing.

ok so I haven’t responded for a little these freaking pop ups are steering me clear of what’s even going on...

little update - tech has now realized it’s a gen 4 lc9 .... they have also already ordered btr stage 2 cam- ls9 gaskets- ls7 lifters- they where looking at arp stuff last night in class

teacher was stressing money the tech was burning it.... so it seems as if the price tag on things while being purchased is under $500 they don’t red flag spending much,anything over they drag out the process of getting parts to justify a turbo drag car.... so they have a 4l80e with a trans brake “being built” as a donation from a local shop (just found out last night)

they are still trying to figure on a turbo- teacher is cool with a smaller one if cheap (like the link posted) tech wants a 88mm borg - is hard to tell them what’s budget

i had other projects to do but I heard they are talking water to air inter cooler .... at that point I stayed out of conversation

ill update this when more parts come in as they “budget” build this lol
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Right after I posted I re opened this page- wa bammm pop up

Quick Reply: L33- Future turbo- College school Build