Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

K&N FIPK III or K&N 77 SERIES ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK III or K&N 77 SERIES ?

Well I currently have a K&N FIPK III on my 01 4.8L GMC Sierra and it has performed well enough. Im currenly in the market for an air intake for my 03 5.3L GMC Yukon. K&N seems to have the K&N FIPK III air intake as well as the K&N 77 series air intake. What are your experiences on the 2 air intake kits? The K&N 77 SERIES comes either with the grey or "polished' tube wich I think has a better look to it, but wich one has better performance gain? On another note I would also apreciate suggestions on any other air intake (brand) kits for my Yukon. I going to purchase an air intake kit probably in a couple of days so your ideas, suggestions, and experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks, The Bandit-Z.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by THE BANDIT-Z
Well I currently have a K&N FIPK III on my 01 4.8L GMC Sierra and it has performed well enough. Im currenly in the market for an air intake for my 03 5.3L GMC Yukon. K&N seems to have the K&N FIPK III air intake as well as the K&N 77 series air intake. What are your experiences on the 2 air intake kits? The K&N 77 SERIES comes either with the grey or "polished' tube wich I think has a better look to it, but wich one has better performance gain? On another note I would also apreciate suggestions on any other air intake (brand) kits for my Yukon. I going to purchase an air intake kit probably in a couple of days so your ideas, suggestions, and experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks, The Bandit-Z.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

what is a k&n 77 sears any pics
Old 10-24-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

one is chrome right? I like the black look!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...Prod=77-3021KP

I don't know which one performs better, but the 77 looks better. I would think the polished tube would hold more heat, but who knows. The 77 also weighs more (1lb). Any performace comparisons done?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Flip a coin?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Check out the AirForce One cold air kit. I had the K&N and it works great, but I got a little bit more from the AirForce One and its mandrel bent polished stainless.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

I went through the same delima when choosing my K&N system, so I wrote to them and asked about the differences between the 77 series and the Gen II series. They sent me the following response, which is typical corporatespeak, but they imply that the Gen II provides the best performance while the 77 is more for appearance. Note the statement about the most air flow that can be attained from aluminum tube (77). I had a performance shop confirm this and they said the 77 was most popular with show cars while the Gen II provided the best performance gains. I chose the Gen II and have been quite happy with it.

"The Fuel Injection Performance Kits (FIPK Kit), Typhoon intake kits, Aircharger, and 77 series kits all replace your entire air box with a 360-degree open K&N reusable filter. These kits includes all necessary adapters, gaskets, mounting brackets, etc. to install them. Any modifications necessary are detailed in the installation instructions. Each product line has different attributes and price points while all are designed to meet our own high quality standards. FIPK Gen II systems have been engineered to provide the maximum amount of air flow our engineers could achieve. We expect you to feel a difference when you stomp on the accelerator after installation. We have generally designed these kits to increase horsepower and torque between 5 to 10%. Because every car is unique, there are even times (although not many) when we cannot engineer a system that significantly enhances the O/E air flow. In those cases, we chose not to produce a kit. Aircharger kits enjoy many of the same features of our FIPK line but are not street legal in some states. Our Typhoon kits and 77 series are designed to provide the highest level of air flow we can achieve using aluminum tubes that look GREAT! So with the Typhoon or 77 series you get great performance and style."