Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just got word back on my blown "built" Trans...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious, who's xtreme?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
just curious, who's xtreme?
They're a very well respected Corvette/LS1 shop and have now expanded into working with Lightnings/Cobras and more. They get Corvette's shipped from all parts of the country to their shop to have work done. They teamed up with Sean Hyland to build a special Cobra too. They used to be in Texas and moved the business here. Take a peek out at the sponsors of this site. 3/4 of the way down...
Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I can see how my every post seems negitive buts its more of calling things into question.In the begning wasnt you trans shop going to charge you for a hardend input shaft you already had?You broke your $3K+ trans the first day and Im the bad guy.Better luck on the next trans If you have to use your trany unlimited times im sure you may someday have doubts about there building abilitys,You seem to think you have something special as far as HP, there guys running putting down a lot more and there kitted only 4L65s are fine.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I'm glad you found a quality shop that will stand up to their warranty claims. Those are VERY few and far between these days. I hope you simply had a bad part as well. Mr. Negative??? Come on now, just being realistic. If you plan on putting 700fwhp to a transmission in a 6000 pound truck with a 3200+ stall, you have to expect failures with the 4L60 series transmission, we all agree on that. That shop also has to know that, and can't be expected to keep freely covering repairs under warranty when you are pushing the product past its known operating limits. If they do cover it, man thats great. I just can't see how they make any money doing it.

Jim did a fine job of beating the crap out of his FLP 60E transmission on his old truck, I'll give you that. Is Erik's truck even running to its full potiential yet?

For what its worth, I've got a FLP level4 sitting in my garage. I just haven't found the need to install it yet.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
I can see how my every post seems negitive buts its more of calling things into question.In the begning wasnt you trans shop going to charge you for a hardend input shaft you already had?You broke your $3K+ trans the first day and Im the bad guy.Better luck on the next trans If you have to use your trany unlimited times im sure you may someday have doubts about there building abilitys,You seem to think you have something special as far as HP, there guys running putting down a lot more and there kitted only 4L65s are fine.
Yep, you really are quite negative.

No, you misunderstood the hardened input shaft. I didn't go with the basic GM shaft. I ended up buying an aftermarket shaft (based on recommendations from Xtreme and many on this site) for the Trans.

I seriously doubt there a "a lot" of guys out here running upwards of 700hp at the crank on an all-wheel drive setup, on a 6000lb truck, using stock 65's (with a kit). Sure, there might be a few out there not willing to spend an extra $2000 plus on a built trans and risk smoking the stocker, and that's fine, but I wasn't willing to do it for too long, especially with the slip mine had. Why waste the extra money on labor knowing it would blow completely soon anyway?.? Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigTex
I'm glad you found a quality shop that will stand up to their warranty claims. Those are VERY few and far between these days. I hope you simply had a bad part as well. Mr. Negative??? Come on now, just being realistic. If you plan on putting 700fwhp to a transmission in a 6000 pound truck with a 3200+ stall, you have to expect failures with the 4L60 series transmission, we all agree on that. That shop also has to know that, and can't be expected to keep freely covering repairs under warranty when you are pushing the product past its known operating limits. If they do cover it, man thats great. I just can't see how they make any money doing it.

Jim did a fine job of beating the crap out of his FLP 60E transmission on his old truck, I'll give you that. Is Erik's truck even running to its full potiential yet?

For what its worth, I've got a FLP level4 sitting in my garage. I just haven't found the need to install it yet.
I agree. The fact that they WILL cover any issues at any time within the year was a major bonus. They knew my present and future power levels going into the build. FLP would do the same, but it would be at an added cost of me shipping back and forth and longer down time (the only reason I didn't go with them).

PS. Why did you only go with a Level 4? When I did my research, everyone recommended the Level 5 and still advised me it may not hold.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Weedo
Yep, you really are quite negative.

No, you misunderstood the hardened input shaft. I didn't go with the basic GM shaft. I ended up buying an aftermarket shaft (based on recommendations from Xtreme and many on this site) for the Trans.

I seriously doubt there a "a lot" of guys out here running upwards of 700hp at the crank on an all-wheel drive setup, on a 6000lb truck, using stock 65's (with a kit). Sure, there might be a few out there not willing to spend an extra $2000 plus on a built trans and risk smoking the stocker, and that's fine, but I wasn't willing to do it for too long, especially with the slip mine had. Why waste the extra money on labor knowing it would blow completely soon anyway?.? Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Tex may back me on this,your trans before the SC was working OK? Then you went and slipped it right away?Had you done a SK/servo before you went betting on it may still be alive today
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Tex may back me on this,your trans before the SC was working OK? Then you went and slipped it right away?Had you done a SK/servo before you went betting on it may still be alive today

I think everyone would agree that a shift kit and a servo would have made the stock Trans last longer, But how long????

I'm with weedo on this part, why spend the money for a servo when you’re going to be replacing the Trans in the end anyway?

I'm going through the same thing as weedo right now even thou I went a different route with the 4l80e. There was no way I was going to dump money in my stock Trans when I know I would be replacing it. Sure I will never see the power levels of Jim, and the 4l80e built might be over kill, but I'd rather spend the money on something I'm going to keep.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I bought the FLP4 transmission for a project in 2003, which was the best they offered at that point. Its got 1000 non-abusive miles on it currently.

I really hate shipping expenses on heavy stuff like transmissions and motors.

I can see both sides to this arguement. Gonzo, like myself, is frugal and would attempt to get by with a shift kit/servo upgrade for as long as possible. Weedo is thinking logically about going ahead and paying for the upgrade since he will need it in the future, and getting it done at the same time as the converter install so its done in one step. Nothing wrong with that, except it had an immediate issue and needed to be repaired. Weedo is paying to have it installed, so its logical to get it done with one install charge and less total down time. Gonzo spent his money on a nice shop that has a lift inside, so he would do it himself. Two differnet opinions for two different situations.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Weedo who built your tranny. i am looking at options on getting on built. PM if you want thanks.

Quick Reply: Just got word back on my blown "built" Trans...