Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Just got word back on my blown "built" Trans...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Weedo who built your tranny. i am looking at options on getting on built. PM if you want thanks.
I've heard good things about Hughes, I think they are in your area.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

fwiw, I ended up going with just a shift kit, increases fluid capaicity, and a larger oil cooler. hopefully she will hold together for a while.

I'm personally not fan of the core system. If I was having work done I would rather have it done to my transmission, thats just me though.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck is not yet running to it's full potential, but getting closer everyday (knock wood . It may end up that the 65 is too weak for a 408 with 18-20psi, but one thing is sure, when we're done Chuck will know the limits these things can be pushed at this weight.

My experience with a fully stock converter and trans was that it lasted about 4 months with me beating on it hard with about 600 fwhp. I'm sure a shift kit a servos would have stretched that a while, but if you know as I did and as Weedo does, that more power is coming in the future, doing servos is a bandaid where major surgery is required. Weedo made the right decision for Weedo. Gonzo made the right decision for Gonzo.

I know someone is going to say I should have done an 80, but that wasn't a good option at the time. What I really should have done is move the transfer case, run a jack shaft between the new transfer case local and a nice 6 speed manual (built by Chuck!!).. That would have been fun
Old 05-18-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
My truck is not yet running to it's full potential, but getting closer everyday (knock wood . It may end up that the 65 is too weak for a 408 with 18-20psi, but one thing is sure, when we're done Chuck will know the limits these things can be pushed at this weight.

My experience with a fully stock converter and trans was that it lasted about 4 months with me beating on it hard with about 600 fwhp. I'm sure a shift kit a servos would have stretched that a while, but if you know as I did and as Weedo does, that more power is coming in the future, doing servos is a bandaid where major surgery is required. Weedo made the right decision for Weedo. Gonzo made the right decision for Gonzo.

I know someone is going to say I should have done an 80, but that wasn't a good option at the time. What I really should have done is move the transfer case, run a jack shaft between the new transfer case local and a nice 6 speed manual (built by Chuck!!).. That would have been fun
18-20psi.... Please tell me your kidding!!
Normally, no matter what you have, you always have to tell yourself "There's always someone faster". I'm not sure you'll have to do that soon!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weedo
18-20psi.... Please tell me your kidding!!
Normally, no matter what you have, you always have to tell yourself "There's always someone faster". I'm not sure you'll have to do that soon!

Is Jim selling his truck?