Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've been searching but I need specifics...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, spend the money on a good set of headers designed to work with a catted midpipe. ARH or Kooks are the big ones that come to mind. I had to add cats to my off road Y and there is very little room between the collectors and the bends in the Y if its not designed together.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Is your emmissions a sniffer or visual inspection, or just a plug into the OBDII port to check for any codes? If its just checkign for codes then you wont have an issue.

As far as bolt on mods go, the only one that will have a positive effect on mileage will be the tune. The mods you are talking about making will definitely increase air flow and power... but with an increase in airflow there is also an increase in fuel consumption. The truck does what it can to maintain a steady air fuel ratio, and with more air passing through it needs more fuel too.

That being said if it were mine and you just want a little more giddy up I would go with some stainless LT's and a single bolt on 3" cat back with the intake tube (your air box is actually pretty good) and a tune. If you want more than that go straight for boost.

A maggie makes for a great DD power adder. Throw 8# at it with the mods above and it would feel like a new animal... only thing I may change is a 3.5" cat back at that point.
It's the OBDII but they do look under the truck. I'm also not crazy about the tune to an extent. I don't want to void my warranty so I need to be able to remove it if I go to the dealer. I guess I'll have to go with a handheld so I can put it back to stock if necessary. That's kinda why I'm saying I want the cats, don't want to need the tune to delete the cats.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Whitecrewcab
Certain counties are noncompliance counties according to the EPA so they do emissions testing. El Paso is just a plug up to the computer and check for codes and status testing. Not sure how rough other parts of Texas get. Where I'm from, it's lights, brakes and forget just about everything else lol.
They basically do the normal stuff but they do plug into it looking for codes etc. If the check engine light is on it automatically fails...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Whitecrewcab
To the OP, spend the money on a good set of headers designed to work with a catted midpipe. ARH or Kooks are the big ones that come to mind. I had to add cats to my off road Y and there is very little room between the collectors and the bends in the Y if its not designed together.
Thanks, I was thinking Kooks after reading the replies. It is probably my best bet overall. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Quite honestly the mods wont be worth it if you wont have a tune to pull it all together. You wont get the most out of them, and its a lot of money to spend not to get as much as you can.

Honestly think about a Maggie. They offer a drivetrain warranty with their product. It won't effect drivability, but will add more power everywhere under the curve. Also, if you decide you want more down the road mods will make an even bigger difference. I.E. headers and a pulley swap could be good for over 50 HP at the same boost level.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Emissions testing? In texas? They just check to make sure your lights, horn and wiper work here in San Anto.
thats what they do here in kansas and missouri, thats why i was saying he would pass emissions with LTs and no cats (assuming he got that type of inspection)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Quite honestly the mods wont be worth it if you wont have a tune to pull it all together. You wont get the most out of them, and its a lot of money to spend not to get as much as you can.

Honestly think about a Maggie. They offer a drivetrain warranty with their product. It won't effect drivability, but will add more power everywhere under the curve. Also, if you decide you want more down the road mods will make an even bigger difference. I.E. headers and a pulley swap could be good for over 50 HP at the same boost level.
But if I get a tune or any other motor altering mod my factory warranty will be voided unless it can be removed prior to service. I'm down with a tune, as long as it's done right and can be easily removed. So I'm assuming a handheld would be my best bet, am I right? If I go with all my basic bolt on's, get a tune, and then once the 30K warranty is gone I can go for the maggie. That's kinda my plan but I'm not certain on which route to go with the tune.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM

Oh and one more thing, I heard that the tranny that comes in these trucks is weak. Is that true? If so what's the best way to avoid issues?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i got my old truck inspected they just hook it up to read the computer never had a sniffer test on it. the was a 97 now that i have a 05 im not sure. they never really looked much at it. even put it as a v8 when it was a v6.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLR1
But if I get a tune or any other motor altering mod my factory warranty will be voided unless it can be removed prior to service. I'm down with a tune, as long as it's done right and can be easily removed. So I'm assuming a handheld would be my best bet, am I right? If I go with all my basic bolt on's, get a tune, and then once the 30K warranty is gone I can go for the maggie. That's kinda my plan but I'm not certain on which route to go with the tune.
In the past magnacharger has offered a separate powertrain warranty... might be worth looking into.

Originally Posted by DBLR1
Oh and one more thing, I heard that the tranny that comes in these trucks is weak. Is that true? If so what's the best way to avoid issues?
The tranny is just fine. The 6 speed is strong and you wont push its limits without some more serious mods.

Maybe I have a weird point of view... but IMO if youre looking for good performance in anything but the 'premium' engine there is no other answer than boost in a daily driven truck. I would think about headers, intake and tune on a 6.2 to run a mid 13 and call it quits... but otherwise I wouldnt waste my time. You will put all those bolt on mods on your truck only to possibly keep pace with a stock 6.2... give that thing a tune and its lights out.
That all changes when you're dealing with a single cab though.

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 07-31-2013 at 12:42 PM.