Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

IAT's at 10lbs boost @#%^&*??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i would forget about the intercooler for now and work on the meth and your tune more. with a 6.0 you should be able to spray a ton of meth and keep the temps way down. my iat's on a 75deg day are right around 75deg at the END of a run. didn't get to try it on a hot day but i was running 16psi.

are you spraying before the blower then?

i just looked and you are doing a mail order tune, that will make spraying a shitload of meth dificult since you will have a hard time pulling fuel to make up for it. i still think if you feel like working out the tune more meth will get you farther than an intercooler.
Yes, I was originally spraying before the blower.
Over the weekend I started spraying after the blower and found the following.

1)My IAT's were much lower. The spray was relocated two inches before the IAT sensor.

2)The spray did not fully atomize and the IAT sensor reading was rediculously low.
3)The meth was continuously drizzling into thee motor (I need a shutoff valve! or relocate the coolant bottle lower than the nozzle.)

I will be buying EFI live soon so I can start tuning.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you actually observed Knock Retard? The reason the IAT is after the compressor is twofold:
1. The PCM will retard timing based on IAT. Take a look at the temperature values in the PCM - they go pretty high.
2. Separating the IAT from the MAF sensor with a temperature difference between allows the PCM to believe more air is flowing through the MAF than what really is. The MAF uses heated wires. The PCM attempts to hold the wires at a certain temperature which it knows by sampling the resistance across the wire which increases with temperature. The frequency of the DC pulses required to keep the wires at the proper resistance is used to calculate out flow because the more air that flowing the more current will be needed to keep the wires hot. The temperature of the air flowing over the wires must be a known variable in that formula to determine flow rate. It the computer thinks the air temperature is warmer than it really is, the calculated flow rates will be higher than it really is because the cooler air going through the MAF is removing more heat from the wires than if it were the hotter air that the IAT and PCM thinks it is. This allows more fuel to be delivered in open loop and is also the reason that MAF values cannot be accurately used to estimate horsepower when the IAT and MAF are separated from each other in temperature like this.

If everything is working right you should not be getting KR because the PCM is preventing it with timing retard. The only reason it knowns to retard that timing is the post-blower location of that IAT.

Edit: one more thing...

You mentioned buy software to custom tune it yourself.
The IDEAL way to set this up would be to relocate the IAT back next to the MAF so they both get the same air temperature. Get a 2-BAR MAP sensor working and use MAP as a reference to retard timing for boost. The IAT will be used for baseline timing, which is fine. This setup will give you TRUE MAF values and you won't have to skew anything because IATs are throwing everything off.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i would forget about the intercooler for now and work on the meth and your tune more. with a 6.0 you should be able to spray a ton of meth and keep the temps way down. my iat's on a 75deg day are right around 75deg at the END of a run. didn't get to try it on a hot day but i was running 16psi.

are you spraying before the blower then?

i just looked and you are doing a mail order tune, that will make spraying a shitload of meth dificult since you will have a hard time pulling fuel to make up for it. i still think if you feel like working out the tune more meth will get you farther than an intercooler.

I started spraying with a bigger nozzle and it made a big difference. The temps were much lower!

Thanks