Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

How to clean injectors... 5.3L engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean injectors... 5.3L engine

Okay so I bought a 5.3L engine several years ago...about 3, and am finally installing it into my 63 chevy pickup. The problem is I think the injectors are clogged. The engine won't start unless you spray a little ether into the intake. I'm not sure that is the problem, but I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail and when I release pressure out the schrader valve it smells like varnished fuel. I'm afraid the injectors have sat with fuel in them and gummed up.

I'm also not sure of the fuel pressure just yet. Anyone have suggestions on how to clean these injectors???
Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

pull them out and physically clean then with carb cleaner..
Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the fuel pressure regulator look? If that's damaged it'll be hard to start since it's getting too much fuel. I've had vehicles sit for 5 years+ with injectors and they started and ran just fine. Other than the gas being stale I never had injector problems or fuel pump issues. I can see soft or nylon parts rotting though from the ethanol.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try turning the VATS off in the PCM if you have tuning software.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately...I don't have the tuning software. I had the tune done by Texas Speed, but I do think it is the security that's my problem. I have one of the noid lights to test the injectors and it flashes bright once then gets dimmer and dimmer as I crank the engine. As I understand it, that is the way the security function disables the car. I had the PCM re-programmed to remove the security and emissions stuff, but I'm wondering if it really got removed.

I'll have to talk to Texas Speed Monday. They have always been helpful. I'm crossing my fingers that a re-program will do the trick because I'm about out of troubleshooting ideas!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Default 5.3L swap into 63' chevy truck

Originally Posted by hirdlej
How's the fuel pressure regulator look? If that's damaged it'll be hard to start since it's getting too much fuel. I've had vehicles sit for 5 years+ with injectors and they started and ran just fine. Other than the gas being stale I never had injector problems or fuel pump issues. I can see soft or nylon parts rotting though from the ethanol.
I removed the fuel rail today...cleaned the injectors best I could with injector cleaner and plumbed things back up. The fuel was definitely bad, but it didn't fix anything. Same problem...but I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the regulator. Is there any way to test it? it didn't appear damaged but I didn't examine it very good. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try hooking a mechanical fuel gauge to the test port on your fuel rail and see what it says when you cycle the key on. Should be about 68 psi.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63_stepside
I removed the fuel rail today...cleaned the injectors best I could with injector cleaner and plumbed things back up. The fuel was definitely bad, but it didn't fix anything. Same problem...but I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the regulator. Is there any way to test it? it didn't appear damaged but I didn't examine it very good. Thanks for the help.
Pull the vaccuum line off the regulator and shove it up your nose. If it smells like gasoline IT'S BAD. Replace it and I bet your problems are fixed
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CODE4LS1
Try hooking a mechanical fuel gauge to the test port on your fuel rail and see what it says when you cycle the key on. Should be about 68 psi.
Fuel pressure is 60psi at the rail...the service manual says 55-62psi, so fuel pressure looks good.

Took the regulator off and looked it over...everything smells like gas right now since we've relieved pressure a few times and sprayed fuel everywhere, but I think the regulator is good. I still think the dim noid light is my best clue...VATS may still be playing a role for some reason.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to replace my regulator. It was shooting fuel into the intake and made it a little hard to start warm. Just pull the vac line when it has been sitting a bit and see if there's fuel there. Ended up being like a $40 part.