Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm, Mast Motorsports 416....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Hmmm, Mast Motorsports 416....

L92 MAST MOTORSPORTS CRATE ENGINE - ** PRICE REDUCED ** - Edmonton Engine, Engine Parts For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

Haven't called or went down to look at it, so beyond the fact you can see the paper that advertises it as 620 HP built off an L92, that's all I know. It's not one of Mast's regular crates, as they have no L92 truck based one rated that high.

It's at a local GM dealership, btw. So out of curiousities sake, what's wrong with them? Be honest! I am perfectly capable of building my own engine as I have an experienced machine shop and owner at my disposal that allows me to work my stuff in his facility. That said this just popped up and the $8000 in Canadian rubles doesn't seem that bad.

I currently have an LQ9 that I bought with 40000 miles I want to rework for my 94 reg cab short bed. I was just leaving the bottom end, sans maybe a balance, rings, bearings, oil pump and fly cutting the pistons and then all top end goodies. Parts alone for mine with worked L92's, the intake, inectors, cam, pushrods, timing chain, and blah blah blah......isn't cheap. And it's still 364 cid, not 416.

I have read a few stay away from Mast experiences with no substance so let's here it. I would no doubt take this 416 apart and check it either way but still. I doubt like hell I will buy it because crate engines scare me for the most part but in case I have an epiphany I would like to know.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My name is Chris and I am the Sales Manager at Mast Motorsports. This engine is an L92 416 that we built a while back. We no longer offer the engines with the L92 intake but have changed over the the L99 car intake.

In regards to the stay away from Mast threads, Im not sure what the details were but I assure you we have the most powerful and reliable LS engines on the market.

If you have any more questions about that engine please give Southgate, the seller, or myself a call. They are a dealer of ours and can shoot you in the right direction!

Thank You!

Chris Durrett
Mast Motorsports
chris@mastmotorsports.com
Mast Motorsports
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay......... So no one has anything to say about these things. Good or bad here too......... If people said they are great crate engines and an excellent company to deal with that would be nice too. Yes I can phone Southgate but that's completely meaningless to me. I might as well ask a salesman in the showroom how good a GM truck is if I wanted an answer from them, lol. I mean it could be a great deal on a great engine.. or like my friends GMPP ZZ383 and an absolute pile of junk that was improperly put together and GM told him it was his problem while it was still technically on "warranty". Well thanks anyways.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 02-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of us are too cheap to be able to buy something like this and most of Mast products for that matter. Have you tred asking this on LS1tech?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I know Mast has some awesome cylinder heads, but havent delt with their blocks.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy bought a LSX454 from MAST. It's badass! Horace Mast spent quite a few hours on the phone with him when he had issues with his gauges. He's the owner and this was late at night after hours. I think some pretty good stuff comes out of there!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
Most of us are too cheap to be able to buy something like this and most of Mast products for that matter. Have you tred asking this on LS1tech?
No I haven't, lol. I found most negativity about the crates on here plus some protouring site. The rest was just ads. Lots of good reviews about parts, heads and such all over LS1tech.

I'm cheap too, but unless it has some real bottom of the barrel parts in it I don't think I can even build a 416 out of an L92 for that price. Hell I would have to pay $3K to even just get a core to build it from, lol. Then you include the rotating assembly, injectors, head work, machine work, balancing, cam, lifters, push rods and so on. I think $8K would be chewed through very quickly even if I put it together. We pay more for parts up here than in the States but even down there I dunno. Most of there stuff is upwards of $10K from what I can see.

Once I get a list of what it has in it I can judge the parts quality. But parts quality is only a small portion as I am more concerned about fit, finish and overall build quality. At the price it makes me wonder about that aspect of it.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scooter k
My buddy bought a LSX454 from MAST. It's badass! Horace Mast spent quite a few hours on the phone with him when he had issues with his gauges. He's the owner and this was late at night after hours. I think some pretty good stuff comes out of there!
That`s good to hear! The same guy with the bum ZZ383 has a friend who gave up on 2 seperate LSX 454 GMPP versions that both burnt a piston in the same hole in mere hours of run time. GM warrantied them both and had an independent shop redo the second one for him after it died...... plus that one cratered again. They were looking after the tuning and setup aspect as it was of course the number one concern with the warranty. He eventually just ran a production L92 with a supercharger of some kind.

I will run down to Southgate and see what they can tell me about it, or rather give me a build sheet of what`s in it. I really want to know.... and it would be a sweet engine for my 94.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No doubt it will be sweet. Has it been ran? Or is it brand new?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
No doubt it will be sweet. Has it been ran? Or is it brand new?
If you can tell that from the ad you are a better man than I. I have no idea, assuming it's probably new. Won't know until Monday at the earliest.

Quick Reply: Hmmm, Mast Motorsports 416....