Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help me!!! Exhaust leak problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me!!! Exhaust leak problems

Alright here's the deal! Ever since I put my shorty headers on I have had exhaust leaks. Its been to the muffler shop twice since the headers have been put on. And I still have a leak! Its driving me crazy!!!

Header bolts have always been tight. I need to know if there is any trick or any way to definitely tell where the leak is?!

Thanks,
Josh Hucks
NXS Customs

Oh BTW. ANybody know where to get parts for a 1991 Toyota Pickup? Me and my buddy just got one. Its slammed with some American Racing 16's the 22R-E 4 cylinder and a stick!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help me!!! Exhaust leak problems

what kind of headers. did you use new gaskets.where are they leaking
Old 06-26-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ummmm, I think they are Gibsons. I'm not sure I bought them used. The headers are not leaking at the head. Muffler shop ensured that the gaskets were good (replaced) twice.

I welded up a joint in the tubing and ensured everything BUT the collectors was tight. After going to town and back, the leak is about 70% gone. Its still there but much quieter. In the morning I will tighten up the collectors and take her out again.

Does it sound like maybe my headers flanges (where it meets the head) are warped? I did blow a gasket the first time (my fault).

Guys with shorties: did your factory y-pipe work and NOT leak? DId you have new flanges put on? Should I get the muffler shop to make me a new y-pipe?

Oh and is there any way to positively identify these headers?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

02denali,
How is your stock thermostat modified?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Formerly one92rs

i bought some gaskets for a camaro for mine. they were a little thicker.my stock y pipe is hooked to mine. if they are gibsons they should have a carb tag on them. my jba headers have a carb tag on them with jba stamped in it.mine bolted right up no leaks. what did you have to weld up and why.are these shorties or mid length.if they are blowing gaskets then they might be warped but they should have been harder to bolt up if so.did you install them or the muffler shop.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok well, with your information I'm guessing they are JBA's, no seperate tag. I put them on under my carport and had a damn time putting them on. The muffler shop got it the next day because I couldn't get my collectors to seal. They checked it over and said everything was good, but I still got the damn leak.

I have the Gibson SuperTruck exhaust and there is about a 2 ft piece of pipe from the y-pipe to where the actual catback starts. I welded that up instead of using the clamp.

I'm thinking either the collectors are not sealing again or either the driver side header is warped.

How did you tighten the bolt on the driver side header that is closest to the firewall?

Oh, I might add that these came off a 2001 and have the EGR tube. I blocked it off though. The 2001 had nitrous and he ROUTINELY held it. I mean from 20-120 several times, enough to get a $1000 6pt. ticket for racing!

Any more ideas? Sound like collectors to you?

Josh Hucks
NXS Customs
Old 06-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Formerly one92rs

got to that bolt with a snap on socket.man i did not have any problems getting mine on.they were relatively easy.i put a bb in the thermostat.where the pintle goes in the top of the housing.runs cool unless you sit in traffic for extended periods or are going fast all the time.i would say its the collector but if it did not leak before the headers then it has to be the headers.
http://members.sounddomain.com/mybadbow1
Old 06-27-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Hey man take the header bolts out where it bolts to the head and tighten them with the middle bolts first and work your way to the two outside bolts. I got the back one with a ratchet and 10mm deep socket. This will help it to lay flat on the head. I hear the stock gaskets are good, but they were peeling apart so I got some felpros that are stamped together a lot better and they are working great. 10 bucks you might want to get a set if you decide to do the bolt thing. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright. It already has Fel-Pro gaskets. Had 'em put on twice as a matter of fact. The muffler shop should know to tighten the middle bolts first right?

Josh Hucks
NXS CUstoms