Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help with body control moduel please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with body control moduel please.

Body Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Caution
Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable(s).

Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.

Disconnect the brown connector.
Disconnect all other connectors (1).
Remove the BCM from the sliding bracket.
Installation Procedure

Slide the BCM onto the bracket.
Connect all the connectors (1) except the brown connector.
Connect the brown connector.

Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
Connect the negative battery cable(s).
Reprogram the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
Perform the Passlock Learn Procedure. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 855407
2003 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD
The procedures below are designed to set-up the body control module (BCM) correctly during BCM related service. Before you start, read these procedures carefully and completely.

Important
The following procedures must be followed:

Programming the BCM
Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
Programming the BCM

Important
After the procedure is completed, the personalization settings of the BCM are set to a default setting. Inform the customer that the personalization must be set again.

Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Programming.

Perform the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent after successfully finishing the Setup New BCM procedure. If the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in the Theft Deterrent procedure is not performed after a BCM replacement, one of the following conditions will occur:

The vehicle will not be protected against theft by the PASSLOCK system.
The engine will not crank nor start.

Important
After programming, perform the following to avoid future misdiagnosis:

Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
Connect the scan tool to the data link connector.
Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to retrieve history DTCs from all modules.
Clear all history DTCs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 812267
The procedures below are designed to set-up the body control module (BCM) correctly during BCM related service. Before you start, read these procedures carefully and completely.

Important
The following procedures must be followed:

Programming the BCM
Programming the BCM

Important
After the procedure is completed, the personalization settings of the BCM are set to a default setting. Inform the customer that the personalization must be set again.

Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Programming.

Perform the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent after successfully finishing the Setup New BCM procedure. If the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in the Theft Deterrent procedure is not performed after a BCM replacement, one of the following conditions will occur:

The vehicle will not be protected against theft by the PASSLOCK system.
The engine will not crank nor start.

Important
After programming, perform the following to avoid future misdiagnosis:

Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
Connect the scan tool to the data link connector.
Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to retrieve history DTCs from all modules.
Clear all history DTCs.

Document ID# 812267
Old 09-16-2003, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Programming Replacement Passlock™ Sensor, BCM, or PCM

Important
The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Passlock™ sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM, however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a powertrain control module (PCM) with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicles password.

Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing:

Passlock Sensor
BCM
PCM
Learn Procedures
There are 2 available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minute procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minute procedure which does not require the use of any tools.
10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required
Tech 2
Techline terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS) software
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select "Program ECU" under "Service Programming".
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Start the engine; the vehicle has now learned the password.
With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.
30 Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

WOW! Thank you very much for the great info! I think that is beyond my ability. The reason I was wondering this is because my door chime sometimes acts up. It will chime 5 times as it should but sometimes it will pause between the 4th and 5th chime. For all I know it might mean something but is says nothing in the book on this so I think something screws up and the chime studders. I'm betting that it will have something to do with the BCM???
Old 09-17-2003, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well you have to remember that on the 2003's the chime goes through the radio and it's speakers. They have a new data bus system. Kind of hokey if you ask me, but you did not ask for opinions.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Yes, they already replaced the radio because it would act up. It would have power to the face and display the readouts but no sound would go through. Also a CD jammed in it and I could not get it to power down even with the truck turned off. I had to pull the radio fuse and then it ejected and powered down.
I just want it to be 100% fine. The new Radio seems fine but it will not play certain burned cd's(it will make a pitter patter sound) but the door chime skips maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks I'll notice it and I now listen every time the truck is started.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

The new Radio seems fine but it will not play certain burned cd's(it will make a pitter patter sound)
I think that has more to do with the *.wav or *.mp3 quality, whichever format the track was in before it was burned, more than anything with the radio.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I'm sorry , it will play the music but you can hear a pitter patter sound as the CD spins almost like the CD is not balanced but it should be. It will play other burned CD's fine. Both radios acted this same way except the 1st one had the no sound problem.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Some mp3's are poor waulity and have that sound in them. Some other ones will have a staticy sound, it's the price you pay for taking the food out of the greedy mouths of the blood sucking RIAA, but that's a whole nother issue.

Some cd's will do it too. I mean the quality of the blank CD that is.