Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header Install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install ?'s

Does anyone know of a write up with the fastest LT header install. I am about to put mine on and just want to make sure of everything. I really can't afford to have it down, just in case I get called in for work. Oil rigging suck!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove old stuff put new stuff in. It's pretty self explanatory man.

The only thing I'd recommend is dousing your header bolts in PB blaster for at least an hour so you don't break them off in the head like I did.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Be prepared to go to war with your collector bolts. I'd recommend having a grinder handy.

Other than that, both headers go up best from bottom. Dont even try to go in from the top.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do it in 2 hours if you have the necessary tools...

1. disconnect battery(not necassary but just in case you ground something out accidently)

2. disconnect plug wires and remove sparkplugs(you dont have to but unless you have two people placing headers on you could risk breaking a sparkplug).

3. spray PB penetrat on head bolts on manifolds.

4. jack truck up and remove front wheels and fender linings(helps when getting in there)

5. remove O2 sensors and spray PB Penetrat on collector bolts.

6. start the elbow grease of loosening all bolts and remove the stock crap.

7. if you plan on keeping your stock y-pipe your going to have to drop the crossmember or your going to spend alot of time working it out of that tight space.

8. put new headers on(double check your seal alignment when putting them on or else you might leak. tighten down to torque specs.

9. install y-pipe or cats if your kit comes with them(finger tighten these pieces till they line up with rest of exhaust, once everything is together and good clearences then torque down.

10. put O2's in and connect wires

11. put fender inserts back and wheels on

12. put plugs back in and attach correct wires.

13. reconnect battery

14. start vehicle and listen for any exhaust leaks(if there are then your gonna have to re-adjust your exhaust...pain in ***)

I would highly recommend a airwrench or hammer to loosen collector bolts they are a pain in the butt...definetly recommend using some kind of penetrat when loosening any bolts...Bad days happen when you break a bolt off in the heads, colletors dont really matter because your putting new stuff on anyways.

take your time and it should be fine, a friend to help will make it go faster