Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Has anyone put a Bullet in front of an Aerochamber?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone put a Bullet in front of an Aerochamber?

Ok so I decided while driving over 7 hours this 4th of July weekend that I am tired of not being able to hear my $1000 audio system in my truck because of drone lol.

Current Setup:
Pacesetter Longtubes & ORY with no cats
14in casing Magnaflow 3" in dual 2.5" out
Tips are turned out the passenger side before the rear tire

New Plan
Order a new intermediate pipe from Walker/Dynomax so I can get rid of the hacked up necked down stock one.
Add in a 3" bullet before the muffler
Get a single 3"in/3"out long casing (22" right?) Hooker Aerochamber
Route it out the back but don't have any tip, kind of a hidden exit?

My question is has anyone tried this? I don't want a chance for drone or in cab resonance. Crusing at 80mph I cant tell the difference from the resonance in the cab feeling and the midbass kick coming from my speakers. And yes, I do have a couple hundred in sound deadening materials for the audio already lol.

So has it been done? Do you think it will be effective? Is there a better solution where I wouldn't need 2 mufflers? Don't really want a Magnaflow tired of that sound, too raspy with no cats. No I don't want the stock exhaust I want to hear the truck some outside and at WOT but I don't wanna hear it in the cab...

Input would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I hate my cats

I think I remember seeing a thread about a year ago where someone did just that to get the sound he wanted. I think it was dudebro with the green OBS Tahoe with the Gear Vendors, possibly. But the exhaust exiting in front of your tires is probably what's killing you. I was thinking of doing a setup like what you've got, so I looked in the exhaust sound clip thread and noticed Mangled GMC had a similar setup. I pmed him and he said it was "loud as *****" in the cab. If you extended your tailpipe to the back bumper, or at least behind the tires, it might help a lot before you through a bunch of money at it.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'm pretty sure the tiny 14in Magnaflow is killing me too lol. I really wouldn't mind something longer with more restriction in it because my low end is pretty poor right now and I imagine its partly because the exhaust stream is so short. I also thought most of the resonance came from dumping under the bed and pulses bouncing off the road against the bed...
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just put the magnaflow after the Aerochamber and see what that sounds like? It should sound pretty good? maybe?

I was goin to put 2 magnaflows on my truck before i got the Turbo.

Ive heard a truck with LTs no cats and he had 2 magnaflows inline and it sounded good! Really quiet at idle and you could tell he had something when he took off but it was subtle.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Why not just put the magnaflow after the Aerochamber and see what that sounds like? It should sound pretty good? maybe?
I agree, try the magnaflow after the aerochamber. Exiting in near the factory location will help reduce the sound inside the cab also.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
I agree, try the magnaflow after the aerochamber. Exiting in near the factory location will help reduce the sound inside the cab also.
haha, somebody agrees with me..
The magnaflow should kill all the drone and give it a lil better tone.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

^^that rhymed
Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmmm I guess I could I didn't really wanna mess with 2 pipes again. I get this weird rumble/crackle when the motor is slowin me down like when I let off the gas goin down the mountain slash a steep hill. I think its from the 2 tips not being equal length from the muffler? Has anyone experienced that before? Cause the outiside pipe is shorter than the inside pipe on the bend.. if you get what I'm saying..
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Deceleration fuel cut off will make some popping noises when it becomes active. Does the noise go away once after a second or two?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I get the little crackling sound deaccelerating and i have a single 3 in up and over the rear axle fyi

Quick Reply: Has anyone put a Bullet in front of an Aerochamber?