Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoodYear Gatorback belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GoodYear Gatorback belt

Finally replaced my saggy 109" belt and went with the 108" Gatorback. $41 out the door at a locally owned auto-parts store.

Swapped in some M1 -5-30 and some new Rain-X brand wipers anticpating tomorrow's rainstorm.

Drove 3 hours and damn if my truck isn't running sa weeeet! I don't know if the belt is making any difference or if it's just liking the attention I gave her today but it was a blast to drive.

I know Gatorbacks aren't new or anything, just I never tried one before. They stretch any worse than the others?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Finally replaced my saggy 109" belt and went with the 108" Gatorback. $41 out the door at a locally owned auto-parts store.

Swapped in some M1 -5-30 and some new Rain-X brand wipers anticpating tomorrow's rainstorm.

Drove 3 hours and damn if my truck isn't running sa weeeet! I don't know if the belt is making any difference or if it's just liking the attention I gave her today but it was a blast to drive.

I know Gatorbacks aren't new or anything, just I never tried one before. They stretch any worse than the others?
It must be the new wipers! I hope you have luck with the gatorback. I shredded one in no time. I bought a Gates after that, and I've had good luck with it so far.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had bad luck to with the gator back.. But it's been about 6 years ago.. Maybe they changed the design since then. Good luck..
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i worked at autozone for a little over a year before i moved to san marcos, and i had quite a few customers return the gatorbacks because at high speeds the cross ridge design would walk right off the pulleys.. didnt happen to all of the customers but quite a few just to give you a heads up
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

wonderful

Well I guess I'll keep the spare stretched belt and the 1/2" drive in the truck.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

it might hold up you never know.. i couldnt really give anyone an honest answer when customers would ask if it was worth it.. but some people walk away happy with it.. id be safe and keep a spare belt as well!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think they are too appealing looking, but you may get some benefit running one of green Gates HD belts. If you never have to open the hood, I don’t guess it really matters whether the thing is purple, chartreuse or whatever color they wanted to make the thing. Gates does have a racing line of belts and hoses that at least has the cool looking blue outer, but while they list fitments for a lot of stock applications, such as a Vette or whatever, I haven’t seen at least where you can just pick the length you need. You very well may be able to get one in the length you need, I just haven’t found where they are listed to do so. Hell, if Tony Schumacher can get a damn belt from them, you should be able to get a little serpentine belt..........LOL
Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have found that they are junk. Stick with a fully grooved GM / Delco belt.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

I've had good luck with my Gatorback on my 350, and it runs up to 5600 RPM on a WOT shift. Keep a spare belt and 3/8 drive either way in mine, its just good sense.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe shes running better cuz she has a tighter belt, or its just in our heads that after attention they run better LOL.

I could use a hair shorter belt too, but been have great luck with Dayco poly cog.

Quick Reply: GoodYear Gatorback belt