FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Procharged H/C Denali - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharged H/C Denali - HELP

Okay guys,

Here is quick recap. We built the truck back in 2005 (its an 04) and ran it up until late 14' with a D1-SC Procharger at 10 psi boost, 42lb injectors, built trans, meth injection... Basic stuff.

Within the past 4-5 months, we added a Livernois Motorsports Heads/Cam package, KB Boost-A-pump, and 63lb/hr injectors, and exhaust cut outs. BEFORE the heads/cam kit, the truck would run around 13.7 to 13.5 at the local track at about 99.5 MPH.

We had been having issues with the crank pulley (Shop that did all recent work did not put a new crank bolt or put loctight on the bolt) We installed a new crank bolt and after reading many different ways on the internet on what torq specs to crank it to, cranked it to 240ft/lbs. It was recessed in way too far and did not line up with the rest of the serpentine system. Said shop pulled the crank pulley back off and reinstalled it with loctight. We took it to the track last friday night and it only managed to drop to a 13.33 at the same MPH.

On the way home from work the other day, the serpentine belt came off again, and the crank pulley was recessed too far in, after it had lined up for about 200+ miles.

MY QUESTION: After over torqing the crank pulley to 240 ft/lbs, could it be spinning on the crank since it is not keyed? Also, could the converter be too tight with the new mods and that is why it falls on its face so hard going into 3rd gear and is so slow out the back door of the track? I'll include the vids of when we ran it at our local track a couple years ago PRE heads, cam,cut outs, when we ran it at MIR when it was >32 degrees outside and it went its fastest pass ever, and its pass from the other night.

Local Track a few years ago

MIR in 32 degrees

August 2015

Open to all opinions...

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

There are a few things here that will make this Denali perform night and day better than it does now.

The first and most important in my opinion it this. You added heads and a cam. Those are great for adding power. But they are great at adding power at higher RPM, not off idle. I would guess on a relative basis (same weather and conditions) your MPH improved in a big way, but your 60' times may have in fact suffered, or not improved by the same margin. Getting a vehicle off the line is where a race, or in this case your time, is won or lost.

Do you still run the stock fuel pump? Does the truck go lean on the top end? Your stock fuel pump will not supply enough fuel even with the BAP I don't think.
Do you have a converter? If not get one, and your times will be where you want them.
Who tuned it?

On the pulley front... do you have the right part? It doesn't sound like it. GM accessories have a lot of different offsets and I would be willing to guess yours isnt correct. Once installed this thing should absolutely not move on the crankshaft. You should pin it to keep it from spinning, but it should not move in.

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 09-04-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:22 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm...if it is the correct pulley, could it have chewed its way back on the crank? Mine moved outward as the bolt loosened on my supercharged 5.3 before I pinned it.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crank pulley should be pinned....you may have belt slip
Old 09-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What are the cam specs?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Balancer RnR Procedure
Attached Files
File Type: html
Balancer Replacement.html (7.8 KB, 146 views)
Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
There are a few things here that will make this Denali perform night and day better than it does now.

The first and most important in my opinion it this. You added heads and a cam. Those are great for adding power. But they are great at adding power at higher RPM, not off idle. I would guess on a relative basis (same weather and conditions) your MPH improved in a big way, but your 60' times may have in fact suffered, or not improved by the same margin. Getting a vehicle off the line is where a race, or in this case your time, is won or lost.

Do you still run the stock fuel pump? Does the truck go lean on the top end? Your stock fuel pump will not supply enough fuel even with the BAP I don't think.
Do you have a converter? If not get one, and your times will be where you want them.
Who tuned it?

On the pulley front... do you have the right part? It doesn't sound like it. GM accessories have a lot of different offsets and I would be willing to guess yours isnt correct. Once installed this thing should absolutely not move on the crankshaft. You should pin it to keep it from spinning, but it should not move in.
Pulley is being pinned now. I'll test it when i get the truck back. It also has a 2900 stall converter in it. Might not be big enough? Brain Herter at PCM4Less tuned it on the street since we don't have a 4wd dyno in the area yet and with this truck if you drop the front drive shaft it goes into limp mode.

Originally Posted by DrX
Hmm...if it is the correct pulley, could it have chewed its way back on the crank? Mine moved outward as the bolt loosened on my supercharged 5.3 before I pinned it.
It moved outward before which is why I am confused as to why it moved in. Truck is getting a pinned crank now.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
What are the cam specs?
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com...cls92stg2c.jpg

Originally Posted by DrX
Balancer RnR Procedure
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you post up the time slips of the before and after passes? That is a big cam for L92 heads and such a heavy vehicle too. You might want to see it and get a cam from stock48.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

That cam isn't that big for those heads. I am running a 224/236 115lsa on cathedrals.

I think for a cam that size it needs more boost though. Mine weighs 5900 and change and with a 2800 stall still spins all four, but I am running more boost. I would have avoided the L92 heads as I feel they struggle down low with velocity and your not moving enough air to overcome their deficiency IMO.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

who did the work since you are in Pa?

Cam is too large imho for how heavy that pig is, i run a 218/218 and trap 113 with similar weight to you on 12 psi

theres a awd dyno that belongs to PRL, TPG wheel base dyno is too small but the PRL should fit ya