Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Simile face on the valve is a nice touch!

Which studs did you go with EBAY special or ARP?
Ebay special. I'mma believe in them after watching Denmah (aka Matt Happel) boost on these studs. This build doesnt need studs, but I think they a better choice over stock bolts. They cost only about $10 more, are stronger and can be reused.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool beans. Not meaning to throw a wrench into the conversation, just an honest question, with that kind of a bump in compression~ wouldn't you be forced to run premium?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Cool beans. Not meaning to throw a wrench into the conversation, just an honest question, with that kind of a bump in compression~ wouldn't you be forced to run premium?
Nah, thats a great question. You might would have to run premium. I would imagine that you may be able to tune around to use a lesser octane but would defeat the purpose probably. IDK If you wanted to run regular gas, it may be wise to go with about 10:1 CR. I would think that how well it runs on which gas will depend on how agressive the tune is on the timming.

I like to run premium in my vehicles any way. Last time i calcualted it, it was about $2-$3 more a tank to fill with premium. To me it was work it. I get more power, a lil more MPG and a better smelling exhauast.

But! I do plan to test the limits and see how it runs with regular in it once its in the truck.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the 5.3 with 4.8 flat top pistons, TSP 220r cam and ported heads running on the engine stand last night. Sounds good! Check it out!

http://youtu.be/VogkaVNGkCU

Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Picture

Here's a pic of the engine on the stand right before it was cranked.
Attached Thumbnails Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here-53-48-piston-running-stand.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 762 Likes on 631 Posts

Oh damn! Looks like trouble waiting to happen!!!

FWIW I run my LQ9 on 87. I could get more aggressive with the timing and tuning with the 91 Octane we have in CA But It's so minimal to me that I decided to leave it alone. I'd rather save my 20-30 cents a gallon difference here.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh damn! Looks like trouble waiting to happen!!!

FWIW I run my LQ9 on 87. I could get more aggressive with the timing and tuning with the 91 Octane we have in CA But It's so minimal to me that I decided to leave it alone. I'd rather save my 20-30 cents a gallon difference here.
lol yea, it does look like trouble. I seem to like to take chances or some may say that I like to learn the hard way. Its me thinking outside the box though. The stand seems to be pretty sturdy though. I've run three engines this way so far. When I did the first one I was intending on building it into a collapsable full running stand with radiator and all. The furthest I got on that is putting wooden blocks under the front of the pan for support. lol Guess I really need to make a support for the front at least.

Glad I ran it before install too. I noticed that my front seal is leaking pretty bad. I also got the chance to do a compression test last night. I've attached a pic of the results. I dont know what to say about number 6.

Is your LQ9 on a factory tune? and what is at 10:1?
Attached Thumbnails Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here-53-48-pistons-compression-test-20140421.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 762 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
lol yea, it does look like trouble. I seem to like to take chances or some may say that I like to learn the hard way. Its me thinking outside the box though. The stand seems to be pretty sturdy though. I've run three engines this way so far. When I did the first one I was intending on building it into a collapsable full running stand with radiator and all. The furthest I got on that is putting wooden blocks under the front of the pan for support. lol Guess I really need to make a support for the front at least.

Glad I ran it before install too. I noticed that my front seal is leaking pretty bad. I also got the chance to do a compression test last night. I've attached a pic of the results. I dont know what to say about number 6.

Is your LQ9 on a factory tune? and what is at 10:1?
Yes factory compression ratio and engine portion of the tune. Trans portion has been modified. Was planning some mods before I modified the engine portion.

Describe the Wet method you used please.

They dry numbers look good. Run it!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes factory compression ratio and engine portion of the tune. Trans portion has been modified. Was planning some mods before I modified the engine portion.

Describe the Wet method you used please.

They dry numbers look good. Run it!!!
Well, its been a long time since i've done a wet compression test. I didnt have an oil gun, so I used WD40 :smb: . I sprayed it into the cylinder for 4 seconds, hooked up the tester and turned it over 5 rotations. Less then 4 seconds didnt change the compression. I retested a few of the cylinders a couple times to get the the seconds I sprayed into the cylinder.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a quick update video up on the '87 Chevy truck after the 5.3 swap from last weekend. Check out the link below. Its got a shaved truck intake, flat top 4.8 pistons, 220r cam, home ported heads with 2" LS1 valves and a 4l80e trans. More and better videos to come. Enjoy!
5.3 Swap Update! Its in and driving! '87 Chevy Truck - C10 R10 LS1 - YouTube

Quick Reply: Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here