Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
That was pretty cool!
Thanks FastBrick! That was a lot of battery changing on that camera to catch all that! lol I need to find a way to run a constant charge to that camera after that event. I think i had to swap batteries ever two hours over those three days.

Originally Posted by elchicano96
Dude BADASS ******* videos! Nice to see there are some good Americans taking risks and inspiring others! Thumbs up and forget the haters! I'm just 18 and love seeing people like me upgrading g the truck themselves instead of paying a shop, bravo man
Thanks chicano! Yea, thats it, take the risk, learn something new and take pride in what you've accomplished.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Not sure on your camera, but some have the option to run an external power source.

Just have to see if you have a port for that and find out the Spec for it.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Not sure on your camera, but some have the option to run an external power source.

Just have to see if you have a port for that and find out the Spec for it.
Yea, I believe this one does, its a GoPro, but the case doesnt allow it. I'll either need to drill a whole in this case of find another way to mount it since it uses the case to mount to tripod.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
Yea, I believe this one does, its a GoPro, but the case doesnt allow it. I'll either need to drill a whole in this case of find another way to mount it since it uses the case to mount to tripod.
I guess I can see why they didn't include a hole for that as it would add a place for dirt and liquid to get in. I guess it wouldn't be practical in most situations to use a power supply to power it in an active environment.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AGearHead4Life, what numbers are you expecting from your 5.3 w/4.8 Pistons (10.6:1), 220r Cam, Home Ported 862's, 2" Valves engine?

I'm really liking what you did with your 5.3L, and am thinking of doing something similar at some point. What kind of numbers do think I could get from the same combo, but with non-ported, stock 799 heads, 1 3/4" LT's w/ catted Y? My other mods are in my sig.

Last edited by LOBO2; 06-08-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOBO2
AGearHead4Life, what numbers are you expecting from your 5.3 w/4.8 Pistons (10.6:1), 220r Cam, Home Ported 862's, 2" Valves engine?

I'm really liking what you did with your 5.3L, and am thinking of doing something similar at some point. What kind of numbers do think I could get from the same combo, but with non-ported, stock 799 heads, 1 3/4" LT's w/ catted Y? My other mods are in my sig.
Thanks LOBO! Well I'm guestimating at 430chp and around 350whp through the 4l80e on mine. Cant wait to find out how close I am. May find out on the dyno at LS Fest.

On yours I'd guess pretty close to the same numbers with those 799 heads. Maybe 415chp and if running a 60e you'll eat less to the wheels.

Lots of variables that go into play here. One being how well the tune is makes a huge difference. Also if you mill the heads to reach the same chamber as the 5.3 heads. Then also how different dynes seem to read different numbers.

My last 5.3 C10 truck that was stolen made about 400chp and 330whp through manifolds and a 80e with only a LS6 cam and home ported heads milled .030" and a good tune.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be happy with those numbers! Yeah, I'm running a 60e, get my tunes from BB using the Auto-Cal.

If the 799 heads were milled to reach the same chamber as the 706 5.3 heads, would that be good or bad for making power? (this is higher than my knowledge goes)

I know it will never be a "race truck", CCSB Z-71 4wd, but I would like to get it into the mid 14's so it'll be fun to drive.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOBO2
I'd be happy with those numbers! Yeah, I'm running a 60e, get my tunes from BB using the Auto-Cal.

If the 799 heads were milled to reach the same chamber as the 706 5.3 heads, would that be good or bad for making power? (this is higher than my knowledge goes)

I know it will never be a "race truck", CCSB Z-71 4wd, but I would like to get it into the mid 14's so it'll be fun to drive.
If your 799 heads where milled to reach the same size as your 706 heads it would be good for power and more torque, but you'd be at the 10.6:1 that I'm at which would require a high octane unless your retard the timing which defeats the purpose. I plan to run supreme gas all of the time in mine. You'd still make great power without milling them and could run regular gas. But if you're going for power, mill them. ITs always hard to find that perfect balance between power and drivability as a daily driver. That perfect balance is what I'm trying to find with my build.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing techical to add here... just wanted to leave my .02 cents and appreciation for your build. I have a 5.3 that I just swapped into my 02 short bed and given the amount of nitrous the shortblock has already seen and the amount it has in it's near future.. it's on it's last legs. I have another shortblock on a engine stand that'd be the perfect candidate for this setup. Trying to keep the spending to a minimum on this little side project so I can get back into another shop... super tired of working on my back with sand in my eyes.

Keep the good info coming!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slvrram
Nothing techical to add here... just wanted to leave my .02 cents and appreciation for your build. I have a 5.3 that I just swapped into my 02 short bed and given the amount of nitrous the shortblock has already seen and the amount it has in it's near future.. it's on it's last legs. I have another shortblock on a engine stand that'd be the perfect candidate for this setup. Trying to keep the spending to a minimum on this little side project so I can get back into another shop... super tired of working on my back with sand in my eyes.

Keep the good info coming!
Cool and from what I hear, that juice will like that added compression from those flat tops.

Quick Reply: Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here