Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

IF you assume a Zero deck and use 60cc for the head size it gets you right there. 9:5-1

You might want to cc a head to be sure. I know I posted some info based on what some porters had found but I have never measured my self.

I know most Iron blocks I have looked at, the pistons are around .006-.008 above the deck at TDC. I don't think I have had one under .005 above the deck as of yet.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
IF you assume a Zero deck and use 60cc for the head size it gets you right there. 9:5-1

You might want to cc a head to be sure. I know I posted some info based on what some porters had found but I have never measured my self.

I know most Iron blocks I have looked at, the pistons are around .006-.008 above the deck at TDC. I don't think I have had one under .005 above the deck as of yet.
Thanks 1FastBrick!

I think we're getting close enough to meeting what GM meant with their specs. I've learned that I should always just measure what I have instead of going off of what the net says I should have.

The head gasket that I have purchased and will be using for this build is a MLS that is labeled 57/HO53L with part #12589226. I thought that was pretty interesting that a LS1 and HO 5.3 used the same head gasket. I attempted to measure its thickness not compressed but I'm getting numbers all over the place from .045-.065.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I was hoping you would get back to this build but we all know how life goes.

I plan on using the same gaskets on my Iron L33 build so Here is the info I found for Part number 12589226- Head Gasket, MLS, 3.920 in. Bore, .051 in. Compressed Thickness.

So with the following head gasket info and the following engine variables:

3.78 Bore
3.622 Stroke
0 cc Flat top piston
-.010 Deck clearance.= piston out of the hole.
.051 compressed head gasket thickness
3.920 head gasket bore
61cc Cylinder head combustion chamber.

I entered all the variables into several calculators and came up with around 10.6:1-10.7:1 compression ratio.

Now you would have to check your actual deck clearance as I based that on my block that had a minimal decking done.

I don't think you will have to do more than a minimal clean up on the heads to get the compression you want.

I haven't made my final cam decision yet, But I did just get everything else back from the machine shop. I think I might actually modify the combustion chamber to gain a few more cc's and bring the compression ratio closer to 10:1 for my build.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was hoping you would get back to this build but we all know how life goes.

I plan on using the same gaskets on my Iron L33 build so Here is the info I found for Part number 12589226- Head Gasket, MLS, 3.920 in. Bore, .051 in. Compressed Thickness.

So with the following head gasket info and the following engine variables:

3.78 Bore
3.622 Stroke
0 cc Flat top piston
3.920 head gasket bore

I entered all the variables into several calculators and came up with around 10.6:1-10.7:1 compression ratio.

Now you would have to check your actual deck clearance as I based that on my block that had a minimal decking done.

I don't think you will have to do more than a minimal clean up on the heads to get the compression you want.

I haven't made my final cam decision yet, But I did just get everything else back from the machine shop. I think I might actually modify the combustion chamber to gain a few more cc's and bring the compression ratio closer to 10:1 for my build.
What the heck. why are these numbers coming back all over the place. With what you listed I came up with 10.3:1 and I didn't even account for the larger bore gasket which would bring the compression down slightly. Also i used .006 for the deck height.

Right now my short block is together and waiting on me to port the heads. IT'll be a while before I post up more on this build. I'm excited to fire it up already though. I hope to start swapping this motor into my truck in the spring. Hopefully by then I'll have all the needed parts.

I've been distracted with other projects like installing a heater in my DD C10 truck. Guy before me had deleted almost everything and cut the wires off flush at the firewall, even for the wipers... smh.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
What the heck. why are these numbers coming back all over the place. With what you listed I came up with 10.3:1 and I didn't even account for the larger bore gasket which would bring the compression down slightly. Also i used .006 for the deck height.

Right now my short block is together and waiting on me to port the heads. IT'll be a while before I post up more on this build. I'm excited to fire it up already though. I hope to start swapping this motor into my truck in the spring. Hopefully by then I'll have all the needed parts.

I've been distracted with other projects like installing a heater in my DD C10 truck. Guy before me had deleted almost everything and cut the wires off flush at the firewall, even for the wipers... smh.
which calculator are you using?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3.78 Bore
3.622 Stroke
0 cc Flat top piston
3.920 head gasket bore

actually with this set up running 4.8 pistons, it should be the same as the L33 with a 10.3:1 factory compression.... i would think. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

which calculator are you using?
The one on Summit lately.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
The one on Summit lately.
Do your values look like these?
Attached Thumbnails Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here-summit-calc.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From Wiki:
"The Vortec 5300 L33 (VIN code "B") is an aluminum block version of the LM7, and was referred to as the Vortec 5300 HO in marketing materials. How ever it should be noted that the L33 uses a flat top piston from the 4.8L instead of the standard dish piston found in the LM7. This increased the compression from 9.5:1 to 10.0:1."
GM Vortec engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do your values look like these?
Yes, except for deck clearance. I used .006. I've heard they range from .006-.010 and i tried a few different values there. It made very little difference.

Well i'm going to go back and check now to make sure they were all in inches. lol

Quick Reply: Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here