Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
I think many would disagree that .5:1 of compression is negligible since its a collection of all those little things that add up to the final total. More compression will definitely help the final performance of the engine. So if you're rebuilding your dished piston 5.3 and plan to replace the piston why not go flat top? Would the LS1 guys like to lose .5 of compression? I doubt it.

But if you're trying to say that its not worth pulling an engine out and apart just to swap out pistons, I agree.
essentially that's what I mean... what kind of power is 1/2 point of compression generally worth, all other things being the same?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
essentially that's what I mean... what kind of power is 1/2 point of compression generally worth, all other things being the same?
A little bit, probably not noticeable as power but faster revving. But I'd recommend the +.120" flat top route

Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20-30hp isn't unusual. When you stop and think 4.8 pistons are cheap as dirt to come by and it's basically just labor that's a decent return for cost. Especially on a budget build.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If pulling an engine and swapping rods/pistons is a cheap return then I guess, my labor is real expensive so it wouldn't be worth 20-30 hp for me.

It is a cool good idea I guess for super budget minded guys looking for every advantage possible.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If pulling an engine and swapping rods/pistons is a cheap return then I guess, my labor is real expensive so it wouldn't be worth 20-30 hp for me.

It is a cool good idea I guess for super budget minded guys looking for every advantage possible.
You can do rods and pistons with the engine still in the truck, just a jack and basic tools (not for the faint of heart, though).
Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
A little bit, probably not noticeable as power but faster revving. But I'd recommend the +.120" flat top route

Very Nice! that photo's got me drooling...
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gamble686
20-30hp isn't unusual. When you stop and think 4.8 pistons are cheap as dirt to come by and it's basically just labor that's a decent return for cost. Especially on a budget build.
Yep, this is what I'm thinking. ^^ Especially if the engine is already out of the vehicle. Which mine usually are because I'm usually swapping them into something they don't belong in.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Noah. Yea, my engines are usually already out of the vehicle when I have them, because I swap them into other vehicles. So already out, then the labor of swapping pistons doesn't take very long.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

What MLS gasket are you using???

I would measure the Dish on the pistons. I was under the impression they were an 8cc dish.

8cc dish piston with a .052 Factory MLS gasket comes out to 9.5:1
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
What MLS gasket are you using???

I would measure the Dish on the pistons. I was under the impression they were an 8cc dish.

8cc dish piston with a .052 Factory MLS gasket comes out to 9.5:1
The most i've heard on a stock dished LS engine was -7cc and that was for a LQ4 which of course are larger. I've got a 5.3 dished piston on my bench waiting for me to measure. Hopefully tonight.

The most accurate number I've gathered for the OEM MLS gasket was .060". I have not measured myself yet though. Mine are from Summit.

Quick Reply: Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here