Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay/OBX style header install w/plenty of PICS (LONG, but detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck with getting the engine done and back in soon.

As an update for those still watching/reading this thread.

I've come into a "slow response" issue with the oxygen sensors. They had been fine since the original header install with me just having to "turn off" the missing rear O2 sensors, and nothing else (well, aside for re-doing the VE/MAP tuning).

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I started getting an intermittent P0133 and/or a P0153 code set, which lit the Service Engine Soon light. If I erased code with my little Actron Pocket Scanner, it may or may not have stayed off for anywhere from an hour, to a week or two...no pattern to it whatsoever.

Anyway, threw a new pair of O2 sensors in the truck today and reset the codes once again. Truck was fine for all of an hour before setting a P0153 code again...

After some quick reading, it seems I can simply set a few codes to
No Error Reported" and it won't affect the performance or the open/closed loop status, so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Only real thing that's changed since original header swap, is the weather...since the ambient temperature's been a lot warmer, the O2's have acted up...weird.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd

Only real thing that's changed since original header swap, is the weather...since the ambient temperature's been a lot warmer, the O2's have acted up...weird.
The little holes that you see in O2 sensors are for referencing ambient air, now that the ambient temp is closer to the temp inside the headers (just closer, nowhere's near the same obviously), it will affect the sensors' operation. I know that you'd think it would be the other way around (hotter ambient temp equating to warmer O2 sensor operation), but due to the ambient air reference that is not the case.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine are on the way and I received a tracking number but the UPS site says my package only weighs 2 pounds, I'm going to be pissed if they sent me the wrong item. I noticed that they dropped the price on these to $260 a few days after i bought my set too..
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Launching!

Do need
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Evil Eric
mine are on the way and I received a tracking number but the UPS site says my package only weighs 2 pounds, I'm going to be pissed if they sent me the wrong item. I noticed that they dropped the price on these to $260 a few days after i bought my set too..
mine said the same thing i was worried too but got everything. will be installing them today. no **** about the $260
Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Getting ready to order a set for my Avy and yes indeed they are now $260 and another $40 for shipping.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The little holes that you see in O2 sensors are for referencing ambient air, now that the ambient temp is closer to the temp inside the headers (just closer, nowhere's near the same obviously), it will affect the sensors' operation. I know that you'd think it would be the other way around (hotter ambient temp equating to warmer O2 sensor operation), but due to the ambient air reference that is not the case.
well, that definitely makes sense...glad to know I'm not so crazy after all...well, maybe not as crazy as originally thought to be, lol.

On a side note, today I actually used my HPTuners software to re-flash the same tune back in (instead of using my Actron Pocket Scan tool to just clear codes), then used the HPT scanner function to reset fuel trims. A datalog showed plenty of O2 oscillation, so I'll be watching the SES light closely for a few days to see what (if anything) happens. There's some PCM O2 settings that can be changed to help them react quicker, but I'm leaving them as-is for now.

p.s. That sucks that they dropped the price $40, after recently raising it $20?

It might be due to them heading towards extinction?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
11 Second Truck Club

well they don't fit my Z71. had to heat and beat the **** out of a primary that was resting on the front drive shaft yoke. it's also on the frame on the passenger side.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
well they don't fit my Z71. had to heat and beat the **** out of a primary that was resting on the front drive shaft yoke. it's also on the frame on the passenger side.
****, sorry to hear that Lance, thought that I heard of other guys installing them without any issues. Seems like they can be inconsistent and hit or miss...
Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Others with 4wd have had issues as well, they really don't seem compatible with 4wd at all. Only option I believe for the budget minded 4wd folk are the Pacesetters.

Quick Reply: Ebay/OBX style header install w/plenty of PICS (LONG, but detailed)