Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Fan problem (PCM pin related)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Fan problem (PCM pin related)

Ok guys n gals,

Yes i searched some, but after 15 pages of not finding my answer, figured this would be much faster, lol. All the other threads were about what are efans and what do i need, etc.

Got my fans all hooked up and wanted to get my pins hooked up before i did the easy job of hooking up the power and hoping they do their job.

Questions though...

The wires attached to the PCM pins are pretty big and they bend whenever you try to get the pin locked in it's holder. Could i just take a pick and push from the top to get the pin in more?

I already have a wire hooked up on Pin-33 (red connector) what does this do, and do i just splice into it, or remove it...i thought this was an unused pin-hole?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

most people use an allen wrench to push them through. I tought that that pin was supposed to be empty, but mines an 04 and i know there different. I lost all my dang e fan links.....
Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just used pin 42 and just pushed it in, try a small screwdriver
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Launching!

i got a pick in there and pushed it enough to grip the other end with a small pair of needle nose and pulled it through.

Whats with pin 33 i wonder though? if i get that figured out then everything else is done and ready.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never used pin 33.

i used the allen key approach. got the smallest allen key i had and pushed the pin down.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Well kevin like i said on gmfs, i got a pick to push the top down enough to grab it with some needle nose pliers and snap it into place. The fans run on low now so it must be in there properly (i was worried about it since i bent the pin a little and wasn't sure if the pins on the PCM would fit but they did so thats a plus.

I just taped the wire up thats supposed to go to 33 and was thinking about using a scotch-lock on it to splice it but wasn't sure. I heard it was for a/c recirculation, there shouldn't be a pin at all, If there is a pin i need to tap a hot a/c line, etc.

So what should i do with the pin that should go to 33? My truck is running about 20* cooler already, i need to finish the lower mount since it was getting dark and i already have another project in the shop so i just zip-tied it in place until tomorrow.

I would run it like it is, but im worried about days after work when its 90+ and i turn my a/c on since i thought that pin turned the fans on high?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ac fan operation is tapped into a green wire in the harness by the driver's side valve cover, fans come on high when the compressor engages. I've read a few things about the pin 33 method though, unfortunately I don't have enough info to be of any help there
Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I used both pin 33 and 42 on my efans. Using both pins allows the PCM to control fan functions both High and Low speeds... With EFI Live you can turn of the fans with a temp or AC pressure....

Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

I knew that already black, but can i just tap into the green wire thats already in pin 33 with a scotchlock and get the same function? I dunno even know wtf that wire does, i've been google/forum searching for like 3 hrs now and i can't find any info on it.

33 is to turn my fans on high when my a/c is on or when my temp is at 210* so i really need it, we have a cold front right now so its only 70's during the day but it's not gonna be long before 90-100's roll in again and im gonna be usin the a/c. I wasn't sure if that thin wire would have any extra strain on it or not? Surely there can't be much voltage rollin through it to burn it up.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

thinking back, i want to say that both pins is only availiable on like 02 and up maybe??? Before that, like in your case, you get to use the tap the ac engage line method.

Quick Reply: E-Fan problem (PCM pin related)