Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

differential failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential failure

When I bought my truck, I bought it with the extended warranty. Last friday, I shattered the ring and pinion, tore apart the differential, and screwed up the spider gears so they say. Only thing as far as performance goes is the Pacesetter Longtubes and off road y-pipe. Can the adjuster for the warranty void it due to the headers? Because I was thinking that they had to prove that the headers were the cause of the differential failure. The parts guy estimated for fixing the truck which includes a whole new rear-end is about $3000. He said it included replacing everything. All I did was put it in gear and Snap..... there it went.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Teching In

hopefully you are cool with the dealer, because yes long tubes could void your warantee on that since it wouldnt be very hard to prove the added power from the long tubes and off road y-pipe cause differential failure.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LookingForPower
hopefully you are cool with the dealer, because yes long tubes could void your warantee on that since it wouldnt be very hard to prove the added power from the long tubes and off road y-pipe cause differential failure.
The rear end was a posi+3.73's. I guess the G80. If the longtubes did cause the problem, wouldnt they have to prove it. The parts guy said most of the time, the differential failure was from trying to back boats in and out on docks.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Teching In

ya but its not hard to prove that they caused it when LT's add so much power They can just blame it on the added torque that they factory differential isnt meant for the torque increase, they can show power numbers of other LT'd cars for their point. It wouldnt be that hard to prove.