Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

code p0449

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default code p0449

Hello. Today I had long trip driving on my truck. Anyhow I don't undertand why engine check light on now. It is only 2006 silverado. It is almost 78k mileage on it. Of course its 5.3 vortec. I went to AutoZone this morning and asked them to check with their scan to check. It says P0449. Mean Evaporative Emission System (purge/vent) wonder guys to see if anyone able help me to solve it problem. I would like to have engine light go away. I don't wanna take it to shop. They charge to dirty ha.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0449 is an electrical fault (not an EVAP leak) for the tank vent solenoid. The solenoid is bad (electrically) or the wiring is open (busted).
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by neilownz
P0449 is an electrical fault (not an EVAP leak) for the tank vent solenoid. The solenoid is bad (electrically) or the wiring is open (busted).
Really! Tell me how I able fix? I wasn't sure what exactly I need to look at? Sure it not gas cap?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked it up on the forum... loose wire or bad solenoid. You could delete the codes from showing in the tune, but that wouldn't be how to fix it. Not sure where it is located. Hopefully you wouldn't need to drop the gas tank.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by neilownz
I looked it up on the forum... loose wire or bad solenoid. You could delete the codes from showing in the tune, but that wouldn't be how to fix it. Not sure where it is located. Hopefully you wouldn't need to drop the gas tank.
I wish know if it is bad solenoid?
BUT where? how can I find right parts to be replace?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The control solenoid is mounted at the front of the bed underneath the filler hose, the purge solenoid is on the front of your intake. If you do a search there is another thread in GM General Discussion with this exact same question and a couple of GM Tech's answered on how to fix if properly, I suggest removing the whole EVAP system and just venting the tank, and deleting the codes in the tune.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastcount03
The control solenoid is mounted at the front of the bed underneath the filler hose, the purge solenoid is on the front of your intake. If you do a search there is another thread in GM General Discussion with this exact same question and a couple of GM Tech's answered on how to fix if properly, I suggest removing the whole EVAP system and just venting the tank, and deleting the codes in the tune.
Im trying to clearly understand. Why it turn light on. Since it is only 78k mileage on it. What so senstive on my truck. I did check other thread from your comment about that/ I am trying to understand this time. IF I just replace both parts. But I couldnt find properly parts? How able I find it. I wasnt sure if I should delete both. How it work? And it possbile decrease mpg if you do delete?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Im trying to clearly understand. Why it turn light on. Since it is only 78k mileage on it. What so senstive on my truck.
Your truck isn't over sensitive, I've seen check engine lights come on, on brand new vehicles, it happens. One of my O2 sensors went bad on my truck with like 15k on the ticker or something like that IIRC.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Im trying to clearly understand. Why it turn light on. Since it is only 78k mileage on it. What so senstive on my truck. I did check other thread from your comment about that/ I am trying to understand this time. IF I just replace both parts. But I couldnt find properly parts? How able I find it. I wasnt sure if I should delete both. How it work? And it possbile decrease mpg if you do delete?
I'm not exactly sure what is causing your light to come on. The code says EVAP Control Solenoid/incorrect voltage at driver. I "assume" that the CONTROL solenoid is bad, and needs to be replaced. The solenoid is rather expensive, so I am just removing it all since it's not actually needed anyway. It is easiest to remove the bed, and atop the gas tank near the cab there is a small square solenoid, that is the CONTROL solenoid. It is easy to get to and replace once the bed is off, if you try to do it otherwise its a PITA!!! No, it will not decrease your mileage, the only thing it does is when your gas tank pressures up it releases the fumes back into the intake, instead of into the atmosphere.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastcount03
I'm not exactly sure what is causing your light to come on. The code says EVAP Control Solenoid/incorrect voltage at driver. I "assume" that the CONTROL solenoid is bad, and needs to be replaced. The solenoid is rather expensive, so I am just removing it all since it's not actually needed anyway. It is easiest to remove the bed, and atop the gas tank near the cab there is a small square solenoid, that is the CONTROL solenoid. It is easy to get to and replace once the bed is off, if you try to do it otherwise its a PITA!!! No, it will not decrease your mileage, the only thing it does is when your gas tank pressures up it releases the fumes back into the intake, instead of into the atmosphere.
Okay. Still pain my head. Im trying to understand this time again. How able I find that parts. Want to see how much cost. ANd I probably will take bed out and fix it?
The paper auto zone print from scan say P0449
Definition-
EVAP (evaporative emission system) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition
The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts.

Probable cause-
bb1. purge or vebt solenoids defective
bb2. check connector and wiring
bb3. fuel saturated vapor canister
bb4. failed EVAP vent solenoid.

Definition
EVAP emission system- vent valve solenoid circuit
Probable cause
bb1. open or short circuit condition
bb2. poor electrical connection
bb3. faulty EVAP vent valve

THat what exactly paper say to me.