Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Filling Way Too Fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Catch Can Filling Way Too Fast

I bought a Add W1 catch can for my truck just to see how much oil it can catch. I installed it with Bank 1 (drivers side valve cover) hose going into the "inlet" and a hose coming out of the "outlet" side into the top middlevof the intake manifold.

After driving about 100 miles the can was almost full. I heard people saying 1oz every 4k is ok but I had a lot more then that. The truck is a 2007 Classic 4.8L 243 heads triple 12 cam etc etc with 136k.

Did I do something wrong? Does the Bank 2 or passenger valve cover need to have something done to it as well? I am at a loss.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

get the new re designed valve covers that move some of the holes around.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Or use the passenger valve cover that vents off the front. The rear of the valve covers have more oil coming out of them. I run 2 catch cans, and always have a lot more oil from the drivers side cover. I will be welding a bung on the front of both covers when I get around to it.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Or use the passenger valve cover that vents off the front. The rear of the valve covers have more oil coming out of them. I run 2 catch cans, and always have a lot more oil from the drivers side cover. I will be welding a bung on the front of both covers when I get around to it.
that's the reason to have a catch can. putting it inline on the passenger side would do nothing as that is an intake to the valve cover/crankcase, you want to filter the oil coming out of the valve cover/crankcase on the driver side.

another option would be to get the valley cover with the vent on it and go from there and cap the driver side off.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Launching!

I found a thread on here where the guy had the same exact issue as me. What ended up being the solution was he ended up needing to replace a bad knock sensor and in doing so replaced a intake gasket, knock sensor, and oil pressure switch. My truck is not throwing any codes so I'm thinking maybe it's the intake gasket??? I just put on new 243 heads and summit gave me red/orange intake gasket which I guess is the bad one and I need a green one??? I'm thinking maybe it's not sealed all the way also I heard you need new bolts to put the intake manifold back on which I did not do. Any one else have problems with this gasket or reusing the intake bolts? Or if you did it the right way and had no problems either.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JonToski187
I found a thread on here where the guy had the same exact issue as me. What ended up being the solution was he ended up needing to replace a bad knock sensor and in doing so replaced a intake gasket, knock sensor, and oil pressure switch. My truck is not throwing any codes so I'm thinking maybe it's the intake gasket??? I just put on new 243 heads and summit gave me red/orange intake gasket which I guess is the bad one and I need a green one??? I'm thinking maybe it's not sealed all the way also I heard you need new bolts to put the intake manifold back on which I did not do. Any one else have problems with this gasket or reusing the intake bolts? Or if you did it the right way and had no problems either.
i don't see how intake would cause more blow by or oil consumption. it would cause lean and air leaks but not much to do with oil. same with knock and oil pressure sensor.

when i had my heads replaced like 2 years ago they reused the same bolts and gasket that was on there. no issues as far as i know but i still have the updated intake gaskets that are thicker just in case.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bobfig
i don't see how intake would cause more blow by or oil consumption. it would cause lean and air leaks but not much to do with oil. same with knock and oil pressure sensor.

when i had my heads replaced like 2 years ago they reused the same bolts and gasket that was on there. no issues as far as i know but i still have the updated intake gaskets that are thicker just in case.
When I did my Heads I got ARP bolts and used LS9 gaskets. hmm I wonder what is giving me so much blow by then
Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

The intake bolts aren't TTY, so you can reuse them. I think the oil puddles in the back of the head especially under acceleration and that us when your crankcase pressures are highest. When the pressure is high it pushes the puddled oil out the hose and into the catch can. Did you try using the passenger valve cover?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Launching!

The intake bolts aren't TTY, so you can reuse them. I think the oil puddles in the back of the head especially under acceleration and that us when your crankcase pressures are highest. When the pressure is high it pushes the puddled oil out the hose and into the catch can. Did you try using the passenger valve cover?
No I haven't tried it on the passenger side yet. I have to agree with what the other person said though which is the I want the catch can there to catch the oil if I put it on the passenger side won't all that oil that it is a least catching go into my intake? And there for serve no real purpose?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Even under hard acceleration and just normal highway driving the can will fill up about just as fast