Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

can a lifter turn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a lifter turn?

put my stock cam back in this weekend and when i started it up its making a really bad noise. took the timing cover off and inspected and everything looks fine. only thing i can think of is a lifter turning is this possible? if so do i have to remove the heads to fix this and to find out which one done it
Old 10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fogle04
put my stock cam back in this weekend and when i started it up its making a really bad noise. took the timing cover off and inspected and everything looks fine. only thing i can think of is a lifter turning is this possible? if so do i have to remove the heads to fix this and to find out which one done it
no way. you cant put them in wrong unless you are a real retard.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

all i done was changed cams. made my own tools to hold the lifters up. something is making a crazy loud noise inside the engine and we cant figure out what it is. all the lifters are there i know that. i used a pen magnet on a couple on the driver side cause they where hanging a little to low and i think they might have turned when i was taking them out
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the lifters were up, unless the retainer is broken, there is no way they could have turned. If the retaines IS broken ,you would have some major problems. I doubt thats the problem. What type of noise is it. Try pulling the cam back out, you should be able to look at it and see it a lifter had turned
Old 10-11-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

sounds kinda like a grinding noise. before i took the cam out i spun it a couple times and on the driver side only a couple of the lifters stayed in the cups. its got me baffled so far. i dont want to pull these heads off again
Old 10-11-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

just unbolt the intake manifold and take that plate off. Valve covers come off, but thats it.

are your pushrods the correct length? rockers torqued correctly
Old 10-11-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

everything is stock now. rockers are right. if you take the intake off you cant see the lifters can you? i thought they were down in the block under the head.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:51 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way to get to the lifters without pulling the heads. Also, the lifters aren't indexed in any way, so they can turn all they want. They are round, it doesn't matter. Of course if you put them in upside down....

Did all the magnets stay attached to the pens?

That grinding noise has me concerned. Did you have any difficulty inserting the cam in the block? Have you inspected the oil for any metal? I wonder if you damaged a cam bearing?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

yea all the magnets are there. all i did was a cam swap and thats it. i just figured when i was taking one of the magnets off it must have turned a lifter. im lost and this is my daily driver.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a rocker is too tight, thus grinding.

Quick Reply: can a lifter turn?