Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to gut out cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to gut out cats

It feels like my truck is startin to get a lil sluggish and i know the magnaflow spun cats are known to collapse. So how do i check to see if they are collapsing and what would be the best way to gut them? Thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think they'd rattle like crap if they were falling apart.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

yeah that makes sense...its just that, this may seem dumb but it doesn't sound like it used too. it sounds quieter
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are used to it....my first exhaust sounded almost unbearably loud.......for about a week or two, then it wasn't loud enough.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

If a chunk breaks off it will find its' way back to the muffler and bounce around in there. Makes a hell of a racket. It will be annoying enough that you will go looking for the problem. I used a plumbers snake($8 @ Home Depot) chucked up in an electric drill. Works great.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Teching In

ok i don't have anything like that. its just feeling real sluggish on the top end
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

This post reminds me of the good ol' days when you'd cut your converter off, put in in a table vice and grab a slate bar and go to ramming the **** out of it. Instant gutted cat.

Then we grew up and discovered that we'd just take tem off and but a off-road Y pipe...lol.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cat could be bad and not making any noise, if it was clogged and not broken. Before I condemned the cats I would diagnose it first though...easiest way to check for a restriction in the exhaust is with a vacuum guage hooked up to manifold vacuum. Observe vacuum at idle (usually somewhere between 17 to 21 depending on the cam and engine settings), then open the throttle and rev it to say 2500 RPM, (Vacuum will drop, depending on how you open the throttle, it will go to 0 when you go wot). What you want to check for is what the gauge does when you snap the throttle shut after running it at the higher RPM, it should instantly rise up above idle vaccuum, then work it's way down as the RPM's come down. If the gauge shows that vacuum slowly creeps up, or hangs then slowly creeps up, then there is a restriction in the exhaust.

If you want to gut your cats just for fun, then that's another story
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

hang it by its front feet and cut it from the bottom center of the rib cage to its butt. be sure to not puncture the gut. spread it open with your fingers and its guts will fall to the ground.....ofcorse theres more than one way to gut a cat
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
hang it by its front feet and cut it from the bottom center of the rib cage to its butt. be sure to not puncture the gut. spread it open with your fingers and its guts will fall to the ground.....ofcorse theres more than one way to gut a cat
I normally hang mine from the back feet and go the other way... but then again... thats just one different way to gut a cat

Quick Reply: Best way to gut out cats