Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918s or PRC Double springs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That's still the ONLY PAC spring that I've heard of breaking...I would have replaced it with another PAC myself.

There should be a sticky that reads "Don't by Comp 918 Springs"...seems like it's not an issue of if they'll break but when...
I know its the ONLY spring ive heard of too, And I would have replaced with a PAC. I have no problems with PAC. but i needed my truck back right away and the PACs would have taken a couple days to get to me. I tried replacing just the spring first, But it took a week for SDPC to get back to me and another month of calling and emailing every week to get my refund. SDPC didnt even notify PAC of the broken spring until 3 weeks after it happened. Not much they can do 3 weeks later besides test the spring, which they did and they couldnt figure out why it broke and they didnt know if it was there issue or not, never heard from PAC again. PAC was supposed to ship me a hat and a shirt for my troubles with the spring but never received that either.

I heard all the horror stories about 918s and thats why I went PAC and of course my luck I break a PAC and end up with 918s. Hopefully they are a good batch. And of course 918s will have more horror stories because there is ALOT more people running them. If people were using only PAC springs, I bet there would be alot more horror stories IMO.

Every spring can break, Ive heard bad things about all of them. Just hope and pray you get a good batch that last..

Last edited by D_reks{5.3}; 02-09-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd call PAC back and get my hat and shirt at the very least lol...

The PAC's are getting more and more popular, and I'm sure that some of that has to do with all of the Comp 918 horror stories. It's true that any spring can break, but when it becomes known that a certain spring is prone to breakage, I personally would turn around and run away from that spring as fast as I can. If the PAC's were as popular as the 918's, I'm sure that there would be more problems than there is now, but I'll bet that there would be only about a quarter of the problems that the Comps are having.

I recently talked to somebody who has been in buisiness building race engines since 1972 (his engines currently hold over 40 national records). He deals with Comp, Crane, Manley, Lunati, Sealed Power, etc. every day, and he informed me that the quality of Comp's products has really gone down hill. So far the cams are still holding up, but about everything else that they sell is garbage. Seems that they've taken the funds and resources that they used to use on production and funneled it into marketing I talked to another local machine shop owner (not totally performance oriented, but I've dealt with them for over 18 years working in different dealerships and sub-letting our machine work to them, and they have an excellent reputation) and he basically gave me the same info on Comp. He said that he no longer deals with Comp since their products are so bad, and if a customer came in wanting to build an engine and had a Comp cam he wanted to put in it, he'd tell the guy no way, we'll use a different cam or you'll let someone else build your engine. Personally, I'm convinced, and I'm staying far away from Comp until I hear that they've changed their operation, funneled their money back into production, and re-proven themselves to me. What sucks, is I really like the rocker arm trunion upgrade that they have, but I'm totally afraid to purchase anything from them...I'm going to get the Harland Sharp trunion upgrade instead (they were the first ones to do it anyway).

Sorry for the long post, but this is just my opinion that I've formed from info from different sources, and I guess it was time to share it.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Wait, I lied, I did buy something from Comp since I've heard this negative info on them....a pushrod length checker. I hope and figure that they couldn't f*ck that up (I measured it just to be sure )
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAhahaha.. I should call them back huh lol.. Good times.

I dont prefer Comp either, But the situation I was in I needed the springs next day, and since I went through my installer the work and parts are warrantied by him. Otherwise I prolly wont ever use Comp either.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
HAhahaha.. I should call them back huh lol.. Good times.

I dont prefer Comp either, But the situation I was in I needed the springs next day, and since I went through my installer the work and parts are warrantied by him. Otherwise I prolly wont ever use Comp either.
Yea, I remember your situation, it sucks to be under the gun to get it done It's good that you have a warranty, and your installer seems to be excellent from what I remember when he posted up