Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918s or PRC Double springs???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

comp springs are not PAC springs anymore which is why they suck...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go with the duals for extra insurance. I have the patriot duals I put them on when I put my tr220 in and theyre still on when I went bigger with the patriot 226 cam.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
Theres been a few more now that have busted the revised ones.. and i was going to take my own parts to him but then he wont warranty, which i understand, thats like takin your own hamburger meat to Mcdonalds and askin them to cook it for you.. Thanks tho.
yea after posting that i rem reading more than just one with the new comps, i guess if the only choice of the two then like everyone else is sayin duals would be the ticket for "cheap insurance" as people like to put it, and dont have to change them out again when u go up to a bigger cam..
Old 07-27-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skolman91
yea after posting that i rem reading more than just one with the new comps, i guess if the only choice of the two then like everyone else is sayin duals would be the ticket for "cheap insurance" as people like to put it, and dont have to change them out again when u go up to a bigger cam..
I thinkin im goin the the the PRCs.. only $100 more and i get better rated springs, titanium retainers,springs seats, and valve seals..
Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Theres nothing wrong with the new 918s. I run them on my truck without issue(219/235 .607/.621 113). Ive also installed them on about 7 other engines and beat the hell out of them!!! Never broken a single one! I think people just dont have the correct tools or skills to install spring a lot of the time. With your setup you dont need a dual spring.

Everyone remembers 918s had an issue, so they fixed them, but now if one breaks they are sure to make a thread, and most I have seen look like its due to incorrect installation, not the spring. Everyone loves drama on the forums, I dont get it.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Theres nothing wrong with the new 918s. I run them on my truck without issue(219/235 .607/.621 113). Ive also installed them on about 7 other engines and beat the hell out of them!!! Never broken a single one! I think people just dont have the correct tools or skills to install spring a lot of the time. With your setup you dont need a dual spring.

Everyone remembers 918s had an issue, so they fixed them, but now if one breaks they are sure to make a thread, and most I have seen look like its due to incorrect installation, not the spring. Everyone loves drama on the forums, I dont get it.
I run them without a problem too, but why risk it, and the duals will not hurt anything. pac used to make comp springs, and then they outsourced to brazil i think and then went back to pac with the new springs. I wish I had gone dual pat, or prc when i swapped springs the first time.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastrt
I run them without a problem too, but why risk it, and the duals will not hurt anything.
Thats why i wanted to get em.. Only $100 more for WAY extra insurance and i get upgraded retainers and ****, not that i need em but for only $100 more for all that..**** might as well..

Thanks for the .02 guys, anyone else got anything?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrt
I run them without a problem too, but why risk it, and the duals will not hurt anything. pac used to make comp springs, and then they outsourced to brazil i think and then went back to pac with the new springs. I wish I had gone dual pat, or prc when i swapped springs the first time.
I have to agree.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

It is clear that the duals will provide extra insurance. However, they will also probably cause additional valvetrain noise and the additional pressure will likely not be kind to your lifters in the long term. You also need to consider how you use your vehicle. Things such as how often you intend to exceed 5500+ rpm's (every once in awhile or every time you leave a stop light) and do you ever rev your truck without allowing it to come up to operating temp.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04Crew
It is clear that the duals will provide extra insurance. However, they will also probably cause additional valvetrain noise and the additional pressure will likely not be kind to your lifters in the long term. You also need to consider how you use your vehicle. Things such as how often you intend to exceed 5500+ rpm's (every once in awhile or every time you leave a stop light) and do you ever rev your truck without allowing it to come up to operating temp.
Noise wont bother me, and i drive my truck maybe twice a week, so i wont be goin over 5500 to much.

Quick Reply: 918s or PRC Double springs???