Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Buildup - Your advice wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 Buildup - Your advice wanted.

Against my own word, I finally sucummed to the pressure, lol. I'm hoping to pick up a LQ4 shortblock later this week. I would appreciate your input as I plan the build.

I've already got a nice set of 243 heads that I will be using. Am I correct that I'll have 10.5:1 compression with these heads and .051 gaskets? Are new bolts required?

The springs will be replaced as dictated by cam choice. I'm anticipating using Pac 1218s.

I'll be reusing my Trick Flow 7.40 pushrods.

I'll be running a TBSS intake and DBC 90mm t-body.

I'm currently running a TB convertor, but will consider going to a Circle D 3200 if necessary.

My 5.3 is wearing Comp Cams Ultra-Gold 1.82 roller rockers. Should I plan these into the build? Or should I go back to the stock rockers with the trunion upgrade kit?

Replace oil pump?

Replace timing chain/gears?

Cometic head gaskets, or will a less expensive gasket serve me as well?

The biggest question here is, what cam? My 5.3 has a Comp Cams XR265HR, 212/218 lowlift. This cam is reguarded by many as the best cam to use in a heavy 4x4 without loosing bottom end torque. Am I wrong in anticipating being able to go with a larger cam in the 6.0? I want a mean lope if possible.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any input on the cam choice? I want a setup that pulls good from the bottom, but has strong mid and top, and has a good chop to the idle. Specify if I would need the Circle D 3200 'verter, or if my TB would be fine.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Against my own word, I finally sucummed to the pressure, lol. I'm hoping to pick up a LQ4 shortblock later this week. I would appreciate your input as I plan the build.

I've already got a nice set of 243 heads that I will be using. Am I correct that I'll have 10.5:1 compression with these heads and .051 gaskets? Are new bolts required?

The springs will be replaced as dictated by cam choice. I'm anticipating using Pac 1218s.

I'll be reusing my Trick Flow 7.40 pushrods.

I'll be running a TBSS intake and DBC 90mm t-body.

I'm currently running a TB convertor, but will consider going to a Circle D 3200 if necessary.

My 5.3 is wearing Comp Cams Ultra-Gold 1.82 roller rockers. Should I plan these into the build? Or should I go back to the stock rockers with the trunion upgrade kit?

Replace oil pump?

Replace timing chain/gears?

Cometic head gaskets, or will a less expensive gasket serve me as well?

The biggest question here is, what cam? My 5.3 has a Comp Cams XR265HR, 212/218 lowlift. This cam is reguarded by many as the best cam to use in a heavy 4x4 without loosing bottom end torque. Am I wrong in anticipating being able to go with a larger cam in the 6.0? I want a mean lope if possible.
Sounds like a solid "budget build"!
-I would do as listed (If it were me)
-Valve job/cleanup/milled 243's
-stock GM mls head gaskets
-TR 220 or Vinci Trucker cam
-Circle D 3200 with either cam^^
-TF 7.4 pr's
-ls6 or PAC springs(depending on cam)
-oem rockers with upgrade(sell Comps$$)
-ported/shimmed ls6 oil pump
-hd LS2 timing chain
-enjoy the RELIABLE setup
-Comp lists smaller cams then the XR265 for 6.0's soo its up to you..save a little $$ and stick with the LS6 springs/TB stall
Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the great feedback. Maybe this will get the conversation rolling.

-Heads are good to go, with only 25K on them. They will be cleaned up and the bowls blended.
-Both of those cams sound reasonable. Seems like 220 would be the max duaration I'd want to go. I saw where Patrick G on LS1Tech speced a 216/220 110LSA 110ICL for a similiar setup.
-IYO, is the Circle D 3200 going to make that much difference with the size came we're talking about?
-Got the PRs
-Got the LS6 springs, will got with the PACs if needed for cam selection
-Agreed on selling the 1.82 rollers. I can put that money into the build.
-Is the new oil pump really necessary?
-New chain only, or gears too?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

A couple of things to consider...chances are that you're going to have to sell your 7.4 pushrods, especially if you'll be milling the heads and using new LS7 lifters which have a .050 taller cup. Spend $20 and get a pushrod length checker. You have many choices for the cam, but you won't be able to have your cake and eat it too. Mean chop and low end torque don't go together...something like the Vinci Trucker should provide nice gains everywhere, but sound stealthy in a 6.0 if tuned properly. You won't need more than a 2600 converter with that cam if you wanted to keep your TB verter. Something in the 220 range would work with a 2800-3k converter and should still provide nice gains across the board, but won't exactly sound "mean" when properly tuned. With the Trucker you can get away with LS6 springs, but I'd use PAC 1218's with a TR220 or anything more radical than that. Sounds like a nice build, have fun!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 3200 Tc is too hi and agree with @ 2600. get some Harland Sharp rockers if u want the best, honestly, only ever heard good things about the stockers. Personally, I'd spend all my cash on the valve train as thats where most of the performance is usually left behind. get the length checker as mentioned, but the cam is gonna be a function of the valves and flow of the heads, as much as the springs will be dictated by the cam. Spend LOTS of time on this part of the setup...I didnt!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Won't I already have 10.5:1 with the 243 heads on a LQ4 shortblock using OEM gaskets? I was not planning on replacing the lifters. I imagine I'll sell the 1.82 rockers and upgrade the trunions on my stockers. They're proven, plus that will keep my valve train more common and simple. I can put that money back into the build.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like the consensus is that the oil pump and timing chain should definately be replaced.

Which pump? I've read that the high volume can empty the pan. Do I need high pressure for the kind of build I'm doing? I'm simply looking for what I need, to keep my budget inline.

Which timing chain? I do not need adjustablility. I will be installing the cam straight up.

If the lifters should be replaced, which ones? I'd rather stick with what will work with my current PRs to help keep cost down.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Praise The Lowered

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Looks like the consensus is that the oil pump and timing chain should definately be replaced.

Which pump? I've read that the high volume can empty the pan. Do I need high pressure for the kind of build I'm doing? I'm simply looking for what I need, to keep my budget inline.

Which timing chain? I do not need adjustablility. I will be installing the cam straight up.

If the lifters should be replaced, which ones? I'd rather stick with what will work with my current PRs to help keep cost down.
-Yes replace timing chain/oil pump...WELL worth it while your already there!
-Look to any of the sponsors for a performance pump..they are all good units/probably some are the same
-As stated LS2 TIMING chain...Yank sells them in a thread here cheap.
-GM sells ls7 lifters as lr4/lm7/ls1/ls2/ls7...direct replacement for gen 3 LS motors..I used them with 7.4 pr's and no problems..all else stock You can also get them for around $100 IIRC..
-I also agree 220 is the biggest I would go..and I would rather keep a 2600 stall as well...Alot of guys here want to run 230+ duration with 3600+ stalls...IMO it makes your fun DD into a race truck...Good Luck
Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So just the chain, not the gears? Chain
Oil Pump. High Pressure or Standard
Lifters. LINK

Last edited by blsnelling; 08-18-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Buildup - Your advice wanted.