Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 build for blower

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:54 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
I just did Trunion upgrade, they are under valve covers so who cares. But that's coming from a guy that could give a crapp about under hood appreance, I just want power and reliability...

They aren’t about power or looks, it’s about reliability.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

I really don't care about looks either and since they will be hidden ill just do the trunion upgrade and call it good.

Finally getting close to being done building this thing. But I told myself drive shafts come before motor since I'm still running OEM shafts and want to get the 4.8 dynoed before I swap motors.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Got the trunion upgrade done and wrapped just about everything up. Valve covers and oil pan are getting powder coated.
Was mocking up these coil brackets with the old coil packs and noticed 2 different styles were on the motor. Anyone know the difference between the square ones and the rounded? My 4.8 has the rounded style.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

reckon the square are the newer style, considering my motor came from a 2001 'hoe with a cable TB (i.e., not a fancy model) and has the round ones.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Huh I was actually thinking maybe they were an older style. I also noticed that one of the original heads was more bronzed than the other. I'm thinking it had a head replaced at some point and maybe these coils came with it.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:25 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

The bronze side was the drivers which is where the PCV pulls from. very common to be darker than the passenger side.

Some claim the round ones take a higher duty cycle and are more efficient with the heat sinks.

There is very little difference in the tune files between the two motors with the different type of coils on them.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The bronze side was the drivers which is where the PCV pulls from. very common to be darker than the passenger side.

Some claim the round ones take a higher duty cycle and are more efficient with the heat sinks.

There is very little difference in the tune files between the two motors with the different type of coils on them.

Oh didn't think about the PVC side being the reason for bronzing.

Wonder why one entire coil rack had square style and one had round.
I'll be keeping the rounds because they fit correctly on the new coil brackets I bought where the squares don't.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Oh didn't think about the PVC side being the reason for bronzing.

Wonder why one entire coil rack had square style and one had round.
I'll be keeping the rounds because they fit correctly on the new coil brackets I bought where the squares don't.
That I am not sure. Maybe 1 went bad or the harness went bad and they just put a whole used side on it. Back in the day about 8-10 years ago people practically threw stuff like that in the trash. You could get a complete used set of take off coil packs for 40-50 shipped to your door when just 1 new coil replacement was around $100

The brackets are different between the square and the round coils. So If let's say they had square and only round was available or vice versa they would need a whole set with the bracket any way.

If you look at the casting date on both heads, They should have very similar casting dates If they are both original to the motor. That will tell you if the head was changed.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess that makes sense. I already gave the heads to my local scrap guy oh well ill just use a set of coils off the 4.8 when it gets pulled.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Well it's time to revive my own thread. The motor has been sitting in my garage covered up since May because life got in the way and Florida summers are miserably hot.

The 4.8 in my RCSB had a Metco idler pulley seize and destroy itself last week so its parked and instead of throwing the Innovaters West pulleys I have for the 6.0 on I'm just going to go ahead with the motor swap.

So since I threw this motor together I got my Tahoe with a 6.0 and 212/218 cam and realized I want more cam for the RCSB. So I picked up a BNIB 224/228 at 114lsa cam from a forum member. I think the new cam should sound much healthier and pull a little harder up top.

While I do the motor swap theres some fuel upgrades I want to do. I orginally ran -6 push lock for the main fuel line and I don't like that one bit. So I want to know what fuel upgrades is should do.

I was thinking -8 PTFE Nylon braided.

As far as pump I already have a Walbro 450 converted to return style and 60lb injectors. Should these suffice for a 6.0 with 14lbs of boost?

Quick Reply: 6.0 build for blower