Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2011 avalanche Magnuson h.p

Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 avalanche Magnuson h.p

I bought this avalanche recently, all the work was done prior to me getting the truck, I bought from a dealer and know 0 about it other than the obvious.
It has a Magnuson supercharger and kooks headers and y pipe. I am assuming it has the canned tune from Magnuson. I was wondering what type of horsepower it should make? I am scheduled for a tune in a couple of weeks, I am going to change the plugs and install a 160 thermostat and possibly a 3in pulley.
Thanks for any input/ and or suggestions!
Scott
Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

A shot in the dark here but maybe 400hp to the tire. So like another 120hp over stock.

Just a FYI, running a 160 thermostat is somewhat moot because you are unable to modify the fan turn on temps without upgrading to a 2 BAR custom operating system and many factory computers don't have that option. It would also require lots of extra calibrating on part of the tuning shop if there were to do it. Running the factory thermostat is fine, there is no problem running the engine at 190-195 degrees.

Last edited by FFDP; 04-23-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I dont buy the BS about a 160 being able to run more timing, because at the end of it all, the engine still saturates/ equilibrates at anything from 180-200 depending on air temp and altitude. Run no stat and it will still happen, just might take longer than your daily miles allow.

Id leave it stock, honestly. Heater will work better in the winter anyway. Plus this will allow it to burn off any water that condenses in the oil, and that's a way bigger deal to me.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

+3 on leaving the thermostat stock in these LS engines. This ain't the '80s no more.

What size is the supercharger?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the input, the thermostat was suggested to me by the tuner. The supercharger is the 1900.
8 was also wondering if I could change to a 3in pulley without having to upgrade the fuel system?
Also, would I be better off going with a black bear tune or the locals street tune.
Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

hmm, I'm running a 160* thermostat in the Camaro because the front bearing on my liquid cooled blower is being fed by my engine coolant system, and Kenne Bell specified 160* coolant.

they're also cheap and add to the mod list in your signature that's how I started. 160 thermo, bypassed throttle body, knifed edge on throttle body, 1/2 shaft mod on the throttle body, throttle body spacer, LOL live and learn!

back on topic, with a good tune you should see right around 400ish
Old 04-25-2018, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

BlackBear is tops in the business of tuning and knows their stuff with these LS engines and supercharging. Your local guy may be as good, better or not. You should find out what people think of his work.

Since you just bought this truck, you should baseline it at the track before you do anything to it. This will let you know that what you have is in top order or not. Start changing things without a baseline and problems arise or maybe you'll never know that it could have, should have been better.

Regarding the 160 again, if the cooling system can keep the engine cooler than 160, then it may make sense to alter the computer programming for a motor at 160 degrees. I do not know whether the stock system and fans can do this. Way back when we ran 160 thermostats in our Buicks and the cooling systems and programming was geared towards it and we benefited greatly from it. In fact, during normal driving around town my temp was usually 154 back then.

Like Arthur said, these motors are known for fuel getting into their oil and the high temperature helps burn it off, I think!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Another question for the avalanche

Ok, so far I have not been to the tuner, changing the blower pulley, plugs, before setting the appointment. The truck has a very weird issue. I can accelerate from a stop, no problem, sometimes. Sometimes, with no warning, it will shutoff, and its like it will go into neutral. The radio cycles, the doors look and unlock, and then it's back in gear. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your battery connections, all grounds, check then twice and thrice and then get a new battery.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:28 AM

I am pretty sure after looking, I removed some wring and tubing from under the truck, that the previous owner had a methanol kit, since it has been removed, could the problem stem from that or in the tune?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 avalanche Magnuson h.p