Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14V Battery Dies in 10 Minutes, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14V Battery Dies in 10 Minutes, Help!

Hey all. I have a problem I encountered. I just received my Nelson tune today. I installed the PCM. I just started doing the Pass/Key Procedure. After having my Key in the "On" Position for around 10 minutes and after trying to start the motor 3 times ( I messed up on the procedure and had to restart). My battery went dead and my starter went to a clickin' . Anyway, this was at 10:00p.m. So, I borrowed my friends battery charger so the battery could be charging while I do the procedure. However, of course, it was broke and my truck was rolled into the neighborhood culdesac. So, here's my question. My voltmeter on my Instrument cluster read 14V, after 3 starts and 10 minutes, it was dead, Reading 9V. I got my Multimeter out and got a non load reading of 12.46V. Also, the "Charge" indicator on my battery was black instead of green (fully charged). I thought you only needed around 11V to start a vehicle. Maybe that's 11V load reading I'm thinking of. Does that sound right? Hopefully I'll buy a battery charger tomorrow and get it running right. Has this happened to you while doing a PCM swap?
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Is it the original battery?? I started having probs like yours in my 01. Just random probs, but the gauges and indicator showed everything to be fine. I had corrosion inside the positive terminal. Replaced it with an Optima RedTop and couldnt be happier.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

black means replace battery. just dont get a delco, they suck
Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i think i got rid of my delco about a month after i got my truck. as a mater of fact i put in a top post.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You cant really go by the dot on the batterys. There are plenty of good batteries without a green dot. But yeah, I agree dont get an ACDElco. Guaranteed a positive terminal to leak and eat everything that the acid hits!!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 AM
13 Second Truck Club

If it is the factory battery, over 2 years old, and looks swollen on the sides I would replace that thing. You may be able to revive it for now, but it is just a matter of time. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

The battery in my '00 Blazer was junk in 10 months. It was just like you describe - but worse. I could leave the battery on a charger all night... come out in the morning, leave the interior light on in the truck for more than 30 seconds, and the battery would be too weak to start the truck.

I killed mine with a mid-sized stereo system, and a few good "deep cycles" of the battery. I really couldn't believe how weak it was.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a bad cell. You could take it to Auto Zone (or the like) for a free load test. That 11 volts makes it sound like it might be history for it.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

OK, I got it resolved. I took yall's advice and Junked the AC Delco. I went to Walmart and got an Everstart (Yeah,it's no Optima, but it works ). I connected the Everstart and the truck cranked up immediately, no pass key procedure was required. Here's why it wasn't required after I thought about it.

My Truck is a work truck model (rubber floor mats, nothing fancy, etc) and it doesn't have a Security light that flashes when the door opens. So, People with these trucks can just plugg up the PCM and the truck will start up without a re-learn procedure. Why didn't this happen on my truck then? Well, I was in a hurry (out of excitement of course! ) and I forgot to disconnect the battery before I installed the PCM. So, I assume it didn't reset like it should have and resulted in a non-starting truck. So, when installing the PCM DISCONNECT the battery, don't be stupid like me and learn everything the hard way.
Philip S.