Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

'11 Chevy Silverado Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '11 Chevy Silverado Exhaust

I was looking for a new muffler for my '11 Chevy Silverado 5.3V8 crew cab Z71. I will keep everything stock for now in regards to exhaust system. I was wanting something with a low/deep rumble that you could tell it was more than stock at idle, you knew it was there when you got on the gas, and no or little drone. I don't want real raspy, popping or "ricer". Just a good low, deep, even rumble. I have had flowmaster 50 series before on a tahoe and they were about right.

My local muffler shop suggested an 18" Magnaflow 3" pipe with a stainless tip. What say you? Would this be what I am looking for?

Also, would I notice any power/torque. For example, the truck seems to lag or hesitate when you get on the gas. Would this improve any? My local shop guy says that is partially due to the new trucks fuel system.

I have listened to quite a few sound clips of different set ups and its hard to tell. I know they would be different in person.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

A magnaflow sounds like what you're looking for... really great tone, no drone so it doesnt bug you, and it doesnt scream BIG MUFFLER. If you're at a light the person next to you if they knew their stuff they would know it wasnt stock but it wouldnt sound like a monster...
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a different sound swap, swap the muffler out; why bother switching tips?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and the hesitation is a tuning issue not a mechanical shortcoming
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Oh and the hesitation is a tuning issue not a mechanical shortcoming
I blame it on the torque management/factory tuning also because after my tune all of that **** went away.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Would I see any difference in just replacing the muffler and installing a new cool air intake tube (not complete kit)? For example, more response, better in mid range, etc.? Or would it just be a sound thing?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MAG00
Would I see any difference in just replacing the muffler and installing a new cool air intake tube (not complete kit)? For example, more response, better in mid range, etc.? Or would it just be a sound thing?
IMO, it would be sound only. Even a whole catback does not produce notable gains, or at least not to me in any of the vehicles I've owned.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Teching In

I have heard that with the newer engines that drop from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder it causes a "helicopter" type sound. One guy said that it wasn't near as bad with the magnaflows as it was with flowmaster. Anybody else familiar with this?

Also, from the listening to sound clips...do you think the magnaflows have a raspy sound to them when you give it gas?

Do you think it would be any big difference to go with duals or single or is it just a sound difference thing?

Also, if I were to go with duals, how would you end the pipes? 45 to behind the tires with tipes, 45 to behind the tires but up high where you can't really see them, or just strait back? Although with hooking up trailers and getting into stuff in my bed (I have a bed cover) I don't know that I would want to do the straight back.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

I think I have it narrowed down a bit now. My two options are:

Flowmaster 50 series SI/DO (3"in/2.25" dual out) with either stainless 3.5"x18" tips 60'ed to the corners or run them straight back up tight and turn down just before the rear bumper. My qouted price for this is $320.

or

Magnaflow 18" SI/SO 3" and a stainless tip passenger side exit behind rear tire. My quoted price for this is $140.

So...which do you think? If you disagree with one of these, please explain. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

i love the way my MBRP sounds check out the link in my sig. not the best video but gives you an idea.

Quick Reply: '11 Chevy Silverado Exhaust