Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Z71 vs. Silverado SS??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z71 vs. Silverado SS??

The Silverado SS's were AWD, correct? I'm assuming they shared drivetrain parts with the 4WD Z71's (ie. transfer case, front diff/drive axles, etc)?

So, my question is, what is the difference in the suspension set-ups between the two? I"m guessin' the SS's didn't have the 2" block between axle and rear leaf spring... and that they have the same torsion front springs 'cause of the drivetrain requirements... so how is it that the SS sits lower in stock trim?

...anything else different between the two?

I'm curious as I try to formulate a drop package for the Z71 in my sig. Maintaining ride quality is a priority for me and was thinking a good starting point might be to swap in the SS suspension parts that are different (if any).

As always, any feedback/info is appreciated...

Good Day!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The transfer cases are different between the two, one being full time AWD and the other being selectable 2 hi/4hi/4lo.

Front suspension is the same as far as I know. Rear is the same, except the SS doesn't have lift blocks as you mentioned.

As for your truck, do what I did (and a lot of other 4wd guys). Remove lift blocks and get a set of 1.5 or 2" drop shackles for the rear. Decrank torsion bars in the front and get a set of Belltech drop bumpstops for the front and rear. I'm also running a set of Belltech Street Performance shocks. Ride is better than stock IMO, and the look is not too different from a stock SS. Mine started life as a slightly lifted Z71, BTW.

4wd trucks are very easy and cheap to drop, contrary to what you would think. I spent less than $300 on to drop mine. That's shocks, bumpstops, shackles, and an alignment.

Before:

After:

Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure its just the transfercase and of course the 6.0
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The torsion bar suspension is the same between the SS and regular 4WD's, but the SS uses purple code torsion bar keys (the same as a 2500) while the 1/2-ton 4WD uses green code torsion bar keys. The difference in keys is what gives the SS and Denali's a slightly lower stance. There are multiple selections of torsion bars for different applications due to weight, ect. The front control arm snubbers are also different between some models. While the transfer case difference was already explained, the front differential is also different between the AWD trucks and the trucks with selectable 4WD, in that the AWD drive units have a one piece passenger side axle (easily identified by the differential not having the actuator on the front diff.).
Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. I should've guessed there would be minor differences in front drivetrain between 4WD & AWD. Good, too, to know that the factory achieved lower front stance using the 2500 keys - now I gotta figure out how to go about swapping those out if I should choose to go that route...

The rear I think I've got figured out. I've got Belltech shackles and 2wd U-bolts enroute. That will enable some adjustability between 3" - 4" Drop. I did the Belltech shackles on my last truck, an '02 Sierra in 2WD, and am familiar with them and enjoyed the results...

In front, I think I'll begin by decranking the T-bars all the way and see what that gets me... If not suffice, I'll try swapping in the 2500 keys and adjust from there. Anybody have a source for the Belltech drop bumpstops? So far, my searches are fruitless. If not, perhaps I'll drop by the dealership and look into whether there's a difference in bumpstops between Silvy SS and the Z71's (seems to me there would have to be, wouldn't there?)

I'd considered using the Belltech 2" spindles, but I have a nice set of 16" Firestone Winterforce tires mounted on steelies that I plan to use in season...

FWIW, I just took delivery of a set of Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's in 275/65-17 that I plan to mount on the factory aluminum 17's along with this drop. I know they're a little taller profile than most folks here like, but they should ride nice and they're shorter than the factory 70 series while filling the wheel well nicely along with a 2/3 or a 3/4 Drop...

Anyway, if anybody else has input, feel free to post, otherwise I'll update later on with results and perhaps pics...

Thunder, I like the results with your truck - looks like you and I share the same taste, an appreciation for dropped 4x4's and the new GTO!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you'r planning on doing re-indexed keys, check out what Belltech has to offer, they may be less than the factory keys, not sure. I have Belltech keys, as well as shackles in the rear, 4x4 lift blocks removed with 2wd u-bolts, and spring clamps. I'm very happy with my current set-up, wish I had the bucks to go even lower
Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Smitty's '04 GTO
Thanks for the feedback guys. I should've guessed there would be minor differences in front drivetrain between 4WD & AWD. Good, too, to know that the factory achieved lower front stance using the 2500 keys - now I gotta figure out how to go about swapping those out if I should choose to go that route...

The rear I think I've got figured out. I've got Belltech shackles and 2wd U-bolts enroute. That will enable some adjustability between 3" - 4" Drop. I did the Belltech shackles on my last truck, an '02 Sierra in 2WD, and am familiar with them and enjoyed the results...

In front, I think I'll begin by decranking the T-bars all the way and see what that gets me... If not suffice, I'll try swapping in the 2500 keys and adjust from there. Anybody have a source for the Belltech drop bumpstops? So far, my searches are fruitless. If not, perhaps I'll drop by the dealership and look into whether there's a difference in bumpstops between Silvy SS and the Z71's (seems to me there would have to be, wouldn't there?)

I'd considered using the Belltech 2" spindles, but I have a nice set of 16" Firestone Winterforce tires mounted on steelies that I plan to use in season...

FWIW, I just took delivery of a set of Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's in 275/65-17 that I plan to mount on the factory aluminum 17's along with this drop. I know they're a little taller profile than most folks here like, but they should ride nice and they're shorter than the factory 70 series while filling the wheel well nicely along with a 2/3 or a 3/4 Drop...

Anyway, if anybody else has input, feel free to post, otherwise I'll update later on with results and perhaps pics...

Thunder, I like the results with your truck - looks like you and I share the same taste, an appreciation for dropped 4x4's and the new GTO!
Shoot a PM to trever1t about a source for the Belltech stuff. He told me where to get them for a great deal, I just can't remember the name of the place.

Be sure to post a pic of your truck once you're all done with it!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Hey thunder 550 what size rims (height and width), and tires are you running?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM
High on diesel fumes

They are stock wheels from a Nissan Titan, 18x8 or 18x7 I believe. Tires are 275/55-18 Toyo Proxes S/T
Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the ss has a 14 bolt no?

Quick Reply: Z71 vs. Silverado SS??