Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transgo Install Pics

Alright, got everything in and running.. finally..We got a late start thursday night and ended up working pretty late into the night. Well, we got everything put together and backed it out of the shop, reverse acted funny, had to rev to get it to engage. down the road, 1st, 2nd, 3rd... no 4th/OD .. so i take it to a little wot. Hits second as usual (harder obviously) and second runs to 100 and i shut it down.. now no 3rd.. i'm sick at this point... take it back to the shop, swap out to the old computer (had nelson send a retune) thinking maybe it was a tuning glitch. Same thing. So off to the house i go... Thinking about every step and knowing that i read every step at least twice (measure twice cut once) kind of thing. and it hits me, i remembered seeing a plate Under the springs and stuff in the transgo box. I whip a shitty, head back to kevins house, open the box, take out the black piece that holds all the ****, and sure nuff, theres still that little plate. It goes between the manifold pressure switch and the valve body. and covers the pan side of the 2-3 3-4 solenoids. So today we get it back in the air, pull the pan, the switch, and the valve body just to give everything a once over. Look at the seperator plate; and one of the block offs that you put in the seperator and chamfer had come out and was nowhere to be seen.. pulled the filter out of the drain pan and that little SOB was sittin on top of the filter. We flattened it out, and reinstalled it this time making damn sure that it wouldn't come out. put everything back together, added the fluid, put the new tune in and off we went! slowly down the road, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, OD... wooohooo!!! Everything is working fine now!! Couldn't be more happy with the kit!! Below are some pics .. couldn't take alot cause my hands were covered in fluid the whole time!!

The template above was used to drill the hole below!!

Below: the nicks in the side of the opposing wall look much larger than they are!

Last edited by EXTREME; 01-29-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

looks good, Congrats! took me 3 days to do mine, but I am slow, lol.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by moregrip
looks good, Congrats! took me 3 days to do mine, but I am slow, lol.
yea, it took us a while, including a pit stop to Krystals!!! Really wasn't that bad of an install, just tedious, if that's the right word!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Congrats and nice you got your problem figured our and fixed easily. Well maybe not all that easy. Drip drip drip....

What size did you drill the holes in the separator plate for shift firmness? How do the shifts feel?

One of these days I will get around to doing mine.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:23 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Mort
Congrats and nice you got your problem figured our and fixed easily. Well maybe not all that easy. Drip drip drip....

What size did you drill the holes in the separator plate for shift firmness? How do the shifts feel?

still haven't done yours with all that gutter power?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by moregrip
still haven't done yours with all that gutter power?

LOL No but the shifts do feel a little soft and wishy washy at 10 psi so maybe I oughta get my round-to-it.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

shift firmness is something i was real ticked about.. the kit came with 4 drill bits, a .120, .086, 3/16, and .055. The instructions said there are 4 different sizes i could do, soft=.076, average=.086, and firm=.096, and race only of .120... well.. the kit didn't come with a .096... and i didn't want to do race only... i tried for an hour or better to find a .096 and it was too late to call tech assistance.. i ended up going with 'average' so i'm not happy about that. but, it still shifts hard! the 1-2 is abotu the same (maybe a bit harder) than my old nelson tune with the line pressure way up, but the 2-3 is totally different, it slams the 2-3 at around 98mph, haven't had it in long enough to do a wot 3-4 run, will soon though. Under light acceleration around town, before it acted normal not really shifting any different than stock, after the install, it shifts firm and clean through out the gears, even goin into OD feels firm!

I'm happy with it, when i go back in at some point i'll redo to the larger "firm" size hole in the seperator plate!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:40 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by EXTREME
shift firmness is something i was real ticked about.. the kit came with 4 drill bits, a .120, .086, 3/16, and .055. The instructions said there are 4 different sizes i could do, soft=.076, average=.086, and firm=.096, and race only of .120... well.. the kit didn't come with a .096... and i didn't want to do race only... i tried for an hour or better to find a .096 and it was too late to call tech assistance.. i ended up going with 'average' so i'm not happy about that. but, it still shifts hard! the 1-2 is abotu the same (maybe a bit harder) than my old nelson tune with the line pressure way up, but the 2-3 is totally different, it slams the 2-3 at around 98mph, haven't had it in long enough to do a wot 3-4 run, will soon though. Under light acceleration around town, before it acted normal not really shifting any different than stock, after the install, it shifts firm and clean through out the gears, even goin into OD feels firm!

I'm happy with it, when i go back in at some point i'll redo to the larger "firm" size hole in the seperator plate!
I have the .096 holes, but the next time I'm in there I'm going to a .120 3-4 hole as the .096 is to soft for me WOT
Old 01-29-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Did you get Nelson to send you a new tune? What did you have him change?

I asked Westers and he said due to the adaptive nature of the 4L80E to just go ahead and do it. I will try it and if it does not seem to be working as I think it should I will get him to adjust it.

Mine came with a 3/16, .120, .086 and .055. I never thought that it would not include all the bits. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Did you get Nelson to send you a new tune? What did you have him change?

I asked Westers and he said due to the adaptive nature of the 4L80E to just go ahead and do it. I will try it and if it does not seem to be working as I think it should I will get him to adjust it.

Mine came with a 3/16, .120, .086 and .055. I never thought that it would not include all the bits. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Yea, i had nelson retune it for the transgo along with raising the 1-2 and 2-3 shift RPM, he said that i shouldn't put the kit in with the current tune cause the line pressure was so high already! Yea, if i had known about it not having all the bits, i'd have definately got them prior to starting the install.

Grippy - where'd you get a .096 bit and what speed do you figure your WOT 3-4 shift is at speed wise?

Last edited by EXTREME; 01-29-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Transgo Install Pics