Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Sent my 4L60E to TransBuilderGuy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How's everything doing.............
Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes a motorcycle jack would also work but the trans are so tall, esp with the deep pan that I have to get it under the truck by sliding it on a piece of cardboard, then get it in the air 6 inches in order to get the trans jack under it. If I could safely get my truck another foot in the air, the removal and installation would be much easier and faster.

So i got the trans back Friday the 20th. Installed it that weekend. It still surges when locking. Not as bad/violent or as much, but it still does it. I scanned it with a tech2 and during the surging, it shows engagement. Same for HP tuners. I asked Transbuilderguy about it and he asked that I set the PWM tables for 99 99. Mine were set at 95 and 98 so I changed them. I noticed no difference. I haven't gone WOT, but this new PI triple disk converter feels the same as the FTI single disk when crusing. When lock up works correctly it is firm and I like that.

I am going to have a transmission shop diagnose the issue and hopefully get past this annoyance. I believe they have multiple tests ( line pressure, vac test the valve body, inspect all the bores, valves, solenoids ) hopefully to find an issue. I don't want to start throwing parts at it guessing what I think it is. I talked to Sonnax and based off what it is doing and the history of the trans. There is a possibility the bore for the TCC is out of spec and is causing the issue. They sell three different fixes for this depending on how much the bore is worn out. I'm not going to tell the shop my idea when I drop it off to make sure they have an open mind.

Im glad to finally drive the truck again besides this lock up issue. I did miss two races while it was being serviced.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Thanks for keeping us all updated, I'm silently rooting for you and your 4L60E
Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wretched73
Thanks for keeping us all updated, I'm silently rooting for you and your 4L60E
Me too. I hoped this last go round we'd finally have the unit squared away. I have literally spared no expense and have every possible upgrade for this unit and now a $1,200 triple disk converter. Yes its gone 11s in the upper teens mph in 4x4 and cuts 1.7 sixty foots but for the amount of money, R&D and time I have into this 60... wanting it to correctly lock while cruising is not asking for too much.

If I can keep this transmission in it longer than an oil change, I'd turn it up and see if this thing can really hold as much as its built to and sold as.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update(s)?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Life got in the way of the truck recently. I have been remodeling my house so i need the truck for hauling stuff. Transbuilderguy txted me on the 4th about the lock up issue and said he found a new valve to try.

Teckpak / Fitzall transmission parts and tools

I spoke with the company and our conversation over the phone lead the tech to believe that my valve body bore is worn and causing it to surge, esp when the fluid gets up to temp.

Robert said he would send me one to install but i haven't gotta a reply to my txts.

it still shifts and drives fine, fluid is great. I cant wait for transbuilderguy anymore, I'll order the valve right now.

-- orderd. 32 bucks

Last edited by Choda; 12-12-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what tcc valve is currently in it? I have yet to have an issue with the sonnax tcc regulator and isolator valve(77754-04K)...never used the teckpak/fitzall..will be following thread and hoping the techpak fixes your issue
Old 12-13-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

I do not know if Robert replaced the reg / valve with something aftermarket.

Edit - After the holiday the new valve is going in. I am also having the line pressure verified with gauges.

Last edited by Choda; 12-21-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hows it going............
Old 01-25-2018, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

The shop was backed up and asked me to hold off until today. So I dropped it off on lunch with the new valve I bought.

It has not blown up and left me stranded in a while, so I think we finally figured it out. Its def got some miles on it and wot pulls since the last rebuild. I just hope that when they pull the plug, its not full of metal.

Quick Reply: Sent my 4L60E to TransBuilderGuy