Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Run without TC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Run without TC?

Guys, looking to trouble shoot a noise I have. Sounds like its coming from the bellhousing area. If I unbolt the TC would I be able to start the engine?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you unbolt the bolts, see if they are tight. It could also be a cracked flywheel. But yes, you can start the engine with it unbolted, as long as you put the starter back in.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigBlockChev572
Before you unbolt the bolts, see if they are tight. It could also be a cracked flywheel. But yes, you can start the engine with it unbolted, as long as you put the starter back in.
I'm putting a FLT 4l65E Lvl 5 in it as soon as it arrives. So I am pulling the tranny now. Trying to possibly eleminate the TC as having a problem. If I start it without the TC bolted up and it still sounds off at least I will know its not the TC. If it doesn't sound off I'm back to square one, then I hopefully will find something wrong with the flexplate. I've pulled the access points and looked at things. I couldn't see anything wrong.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

damn... it looks like its about to dismantle the frontned in your sig pic!!! thats some damn torque right there.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I'm putting a FLT 4l65E Lvl 5 in it as soon as it arrives. So I am pulling the tranny now. Trying to possibly eleminate the TC as having a problem. If I start it without the TC bolted up and it still sounds off at least I will know its not the TC. If it doesn't sound off I'm back to square one, then I hopefully will find something wrong with the flexplate. I've pulled the access points and looked at things. I couldn't see anything wrong.

Thanks for the input.
Well, most likely if you disconnect the two their won't be enough "tension" on the flywheel to cause it to make that noise if it was cracked IMO at least. If you're already pulling the transmission and putting a new one In I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure your flywheel is not cracked. Locktite your TC bolts and tighten them well. Does the noise sound like a marble in a tin can or pop corn popping in the microwave?
Philip S.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KySilverado

Thanks for the input.
I would say the tq converter is giving out. Possibly some fins are broken or the whole thing is coming apart inside.
Are you replacing the flexplate?
It is possible that it is cracking where it bolts up to the end of the crankshaft flange. Probably aroung the holes where the bolts go through.
Make sure the teeth are not worn on the flexplate or starter.
If a new flexplate is not too expensive, then "I" would probably replace it to be on the safe side.
I believe there are performance flexplates out there, but not too sure. It may be a smart thing to do at this tear down.
LOL, new tranny, new TQ converter, & new flexplate should rid you of the noise I would hope.
Unless.......at worst the rear main bearing is going, but I doubt it. The rear main seal would probably be leaking if it was. Just shooting **** out my a$$!
Anyway, hope you fix your problem!

Jim
Old 01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I would say the tq converter is giving out. Possibly some fins are broken or the whole thing is coming apart inside.
Are you replacing the flexplate?
It is possible that it is cracking where it bolts up to the end of the crankshaft flange. Probably aroung the holes where the bolts go through.
Make sure the teeth are not worn on the flexplate or starter.
If a new flexplate is not too expensive, then "I" would probably replace it to be on the safe side.
I believe there are performance flexplates out there, but not too sure. It may be a smart thing to do at this tear down.
LOL, new tranny, new TQ converter, & new flexplate should rid you of the noise I would hope.
Unless.......at worst the rear main bearing is going, but I doubt it. The rear main seal would probably be leaking if it was. Just shooting **** out my a$$!
Anyway, hope you fix your problem!

Jim
Aftermarket flexplate- TCI
Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

It originally sounded like a "marble in a tin can" kinda thing. Now its much worse, with other weird sounds. Much louder and I can't really pinpoint where its coming from. Loudest under the truck but now very noticable with the hood up. I'm gonna pull plugs tomorrow just to have a look.

I have a new TCI flexplate in the garage. Waiting on the trans. A much mores solid unit compared to the stocker.

My fear is when I get into it. If I don't find anything wrong with the TC bolts, Flexplate isn't cracked, I'll not know what it is. Then I'll suspect the TC. FWIW I have not found any mention of anyone wiping out the Percision Industries TC. I've had two well know trans builders say "it's a PI? Well it is not the TC". At least if I can start it up with the TC unhooked and it doesn't make the sound, I'll know that it could still be the flexplate but not doing it because its not under the load of the TC and it isn't anything in the engine.

Was stressing it much more until yesterday. Its my daily driver. I went and bought a beater. A 93 Toyota Tercel So at least I'm not bumming rides to work.

Again thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming.

Last edited by KySilverado; 01-21-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you have cats still they may be bad,mine were at 46,000 miles on my 03.I thought it was a broken flexplate from sound coming from bellhousing area.Took it to tranny shop and put on lift.Trans guy would hit the cats with a hammer and sound would go away for a second or two.Took truck to dealership and got brand new y with cats under warranty because emissions warranty runs for 80,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stall speed
If you have cats still they may be bad,mine were at 46,000 miles on my 03.I thought it was a broken flexplate from sound coming from bellhousing area.Took it to tranny shop and put on lift.Trans guy would hit the cats with a hammer and sound would go away for a second or two.Took truck to dealership and got brand new y with cats under warranty because emissions warranty runs for 80,000 miles.
Aftermarket hi-flow cats. Came with the dynatech header system. Less than a year old. I have to remove them with the transmission pull. I'll give them a look.

Quick Reply: Run without TC?