Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rattle...clunk..Im stumped..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle...clunk..Im stumped..

Hey guys.. I have had this noise and i am absolutely lost. I know this is probably the hardest thing to ask over the internet, but i just need somewhere else to look. Basically it started as a noise in the floorboard over bumpy roads on the passenger side. Front end is fine. Had ball joints, tie rods etc checked and all came out ok.

Since i use my truck often off road. I noticed next as the truck flexed, it felt as if something was grinding in the same area in the floorboard. Seems connected with turning as well. When turning and backing i could hear it.

So i get the truck in a position where i hear the noise...P,R,N,D all have the same effect. I notice as i turn the wheel and put a bit of strain on the steering it gets a little worse and i can feel the engine bog a bit. But as i let go of the steering the engine comes back but the noise is still grinding..

And finally it seems to be weight related. WIth a buddy in the truck i hear it...i jump out to try and get under it..and it goes away...

Now i am absolutely bewildered. Just need some fresh ideas. My diff shop thought it was the dogbone hitting the frame but that doesnt explain the bogging... Sorry for the long winded post but i am hoping certain things may trigger something with a similar experience.
Thanks in advance!!

Matt
Old 09-12-2006, 01:15 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

your engine will bog when its trying to idle if you crank the steering because its putting strain on the PS pump which is on te belt system. could it be inside your transmission? or transfer case? maybe something with your rack n pinion or your steering linkage?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

I understand the power steering deal. But is different than normal and only when in a flexed position.

Since i always think the worst i was thinking something internal. But it drives/shifts fine down the road. Except for some bumps i hear this rattle..seems to be related to an up/down motion.

This is absolutely killing me. I even take it to the only shop in town i trust and they dont know. What do you do when you just wanna burn your truck down...?

Matt
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mjcook6
What do you do when you just wanna burn your truck down...?

Matt

GRAB THE MARSHMALLOWS

All joking aside i feel your pain.... squekes, rattles, bangs, and grinds are just as much of a bitch to diagnose as driveability....

good luck... if the answer doesnt come to you... grad a beer and leave it alone for awhile... youlle figure it out....

or you can be like some o here and just drive it till it breaks
Old 09-12-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you checked all lift components? Called RCD maybe they can point you in the right direction?

The bogging unless it is almost about to die like sputtering im gonna just say its probably the strain from everything like PS pump, Tranfer case and all that good stuff.

I really cant see the bog having anything to do with the rattle your hearing.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

The bogging isnt like it will die. It just feels like something is binding. Im continuing to check it out. I have my comp out for a retune so its not being driven. Im just gonna get as many local opinions as possible. Sooner or later im gonna figure it out. And if something breaks than i know what it is. lol..
Lets just hope its not out on the trail somewhere. Ill post up an update as soon as i figure it out..

Matt
Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

if it doesnt seem like its gonna die id put my money on the bogging being from power steering strain
Old 09-14-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read TSB's about rattles, clunks tied to the transmission cross member. The connecton to the frame with the 2 bolts each side either loose or the member moving around in the connection.

Just a thought.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Ill take a look at that tonight. Anyone got a quick pic where they can point out this crossmember.?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Default Quick Update...

Well i let my truck sit for a 2 weeks while i waited for my tune to get adjusted. Jury is still out if anything was changed, but thats a different story.

This noise had been driving me crazy as well as having rattling cats. So i said screw it and took it to the exhaust shop. Dood cut out the cats and put some turndowns on for 60 bucks. Not bad. But before he took off the cats, i got under the truck as it sat on the lift and saw the pass side cat was like 1/2 inch from the body. That was for sure the noise. I still cant believe how god awful it sounded but was resting on the bottom of the body and vibrating with weight in the truck. It makes sense as i turned the wheel side to side it makes the weight shift ever so slightly causing the cat to touch and not touch.

So needless to say my truck is running good and i dont wanna burn it anymore. But dam can you say loud and raspy? Dont get me wrong i love it.. But those single chambers dont leave much restriction. The x pipe calms it down a bit but it sure roars now. Would love to hear a cam in this bish but im goin hunting in canada in 2 weeks and funds are low.

Matt